At least 50% of success in life comes from luck?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by crgarcia, Aug 25, 2009.

1. luck happens when hard work meets opportunity.

#31     Aug 27, 2009
  2. They all had a diet of pure white rice?

#32     Aug 27, 2009
  3. Even with the best attitude, the hardest work, and the most stringent discipline; there are things that won't depend on you.

If you try to control these things you'll look too desperate, which hurts your attitude and image.

#33     Aug 27, 2009
  4. Nice.

So true.
    You must have both.

#34     Aug 27, 2009
  5. bighog

bighog Guest

Getting lucky is when you know the difference between luck and expected results.

Example: i went to the store and bought some Welch's grape juice, orange juice, a loaf of local yocal bakery bread and a lotto ticket for Fridays 325 million drawing.

On which item purchased was i even giving luck a thought? :)

#35     Aug 27, 2009
  6. =====================
    Agree with nickname big game hunter, mr Garcia;
    belly laugh.LOL:D

Solomon said the lazy man roasteth not that which he took in hunting; but the industrious man reaps a rich harvest.Proverbs.

John Henry never played the blame game/ victim game. He said what you call luck;
    i call a small sample:cool:

#36     Aug 27, 2009
  7. loza

loza Guest

Lady Luck is a Fickle B*tch and Her Name is Karma

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9D5lahcNAmc&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9D5lahcNAmc&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

#37     Aug 31, 2009
  8. Amen, and YEEHAW!!
    (from an ex redneck cop no less!)

#38     Aug 31, 2009
  9. I was working on a particular routine job. Something went wrong and I went to my tool box and picked out a tool and fixed the problem. The customer was present during the entire ordeal and commented "You're lucky you had that tool".

I'm like wtf? I wasn't lucky, I went to work, earned the money to buy the tool so I would have it and be prepared for situations such as this.

Point being, most people haven't thought too much about the word "luck" and what it means.

#39     Sep 1, 2009
  10. A controlled environment - where you have control over many things, thus the outcome is more likely bounded within your expectations, including the ones that are rare but predictable.

Factors in life that one cannot control - born into which family, going to a school not by your choice at early age, having the right person at early age (and probably work age) to recognize your talent and help you grow, etc.

Luck does play an important role, just not that obvious.

The example factors above can be read as a parallel to any dynamic system's initial condition.

i.e. Born in a war zone in a very poor family does not give that person a very good chance to utilize his or her talent, isn't it?

Do what you can, giving your best, and enjoy your ride in life no matter what the outcome is, by simply understanding that you do not have full control of your life.

:)

#40     Sep 1, 2009