At least 50% of success in life comes from luck?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by crgarcia, Aug 25, 2009.

1. drcha

drcha

Makes sense to me.

There is definitely some luck in it--at least in terms of one's original background. For instance, I had the luck to be born to middle class parents in the western world, not the 12th child of a beggar in the third world. So I've had more opportunities than some.

However, if we are comparing two people with my same background to each other--well, the rest is all attitude, effort and horse sense. Once you are in a place like my home of origin, a home with average income/education, in the US where opportunities abound, luck has not much to do with it. People then separate themselves by ambition, perseverance and effort However, I think that a key ingredient is common sense. Without the last one, it does not matter how smart, determined or privileged you are. I've seen plenty of smart people screw everything up because they can't recognize reality. Just as in trading, in order to succeed in the world, you must be able to see and work with what is, not what you wish could be or think should be.

#11     Aug 25, 2009
  2. Chance favours the prepared mind.

#12     Aug 26, 2009
  3. Simple equation for Success:

#13     Aug 26, 2009
  4. heypa

heypa

Serendipity (luck) is where preparation meets opportunity. (Paraphrased and stolen from someone.) Too lazy to determine from whom.

#14     Aug 26, 2009
  5. Only about a quarter of the world population even has internet access. So if you are reading this, you are "lucky" you were born into a country that has developed internet access. If you were the smartest guy in the 18th century, but got a bacterial infection, you were "unlucky" that antibiotics were not discovered yet. Research Warren Buffett's "ovarian lottery" speech.

#15     Aug 26, 2009
  6. 81% of statistics are made up on the spot.

#16     Aug 26, 2009
  7. We are all very lucky that the guy in the picture won his ovarian lottery and is sharing his fortune with all of us.

#17     Aug 26, 2009
  8. ElCubano

ElCubano

Luck is a bigger factor than most think...being born to a a drug using single mom in the poorest section of a brazilian shanty town has to do with LUCK....peace

#18     Aug 26, 2009
  9. Specterx

Specterx

I would say more like 80-90% comes from luck. Being born smart or rich, poor or dumb, healthy or sickly, good-looking or ugly, strong-minded or weak, in America or in Afghanistan, all that's luck. So is being born to parents who prepare you well or poorly for life. And then, between two people with equal gifts/skills, success or relative failure is largely about being in the right place at the right time.

The last 10-20% of success is about recognizing when you're in such a place and exploiting it to the fullest of your ability.

Note that this in no way invalidates the achievements of successful people, or the need for individual responsibility in life, etc. That 10-20% 'non-luck' factor can easily make all the difference.

#19     Aug 26, 2009
  10. Specterx

Specterx

And having (or lacking) those character traits is going to be largely a function of your genes and how/where/when you were raised. Since none of us can control any of these, it's a matter of luck.

#20     Aug 26, 2009