At 77 He Prepares Burgers Earning in Week His Former Hourly Wage

Discussion in 'Economics' started by OnClose, Sep 23, 2013.

1. zdreg

zdreg

your point?

#21     Sep 24, 2013
  2. jem

jem

That is how I sense it to be too.
    In fact... after talking with my parents friends.
    I think a lot of people who tried to be smart and conservative and avoid debt are in the same boat.

You can be where that guy is without making any mistakes.
    (my dad used to be part of an investors club and that is how I met some of these people.)

#22     Sep 24, 2013
  3. blakpacman

blakpacman

All you need is one mentally imbalanced day (maybe inebriated? ... don't drink and trade) and a click of a mouse that can completely wipe out the trading account.
    Or, one particular day was a lack of discipline double down again and again day. There are any number of scenarios where one misstep precedes the poorhouse, esp. in trading ... maybe even another MF Global lurking in the shadows.

#23     Sep 24, 2013
  4. The easiest solution to the problem that I know of is to raise the contribution
    to social security so that a person can actually live on it.

#24     Sep 24, 2013
  5. clacy

clacy

So the politicos can throw more money around to interest groups in order to secure more power? You're acting as there is a lock box for SS funds and what goes in goes out in benefits.

#25     Sep 24, 2013
  6. jem

jem

Not that I am excusing the crony loving establishment republicans and neo cons...

I agree that Bush I increased taxes after saying now new taxes and Bush II sold out to the insurance and drug companies with Medicare Part d...

But you can't blame tax cuts for the inflation and they certainly helped the upper working class.

#26     Sep 24, 2013
  7. I'd say most people can never imagine what the worst could be 30, 40, 50 years later.

#27     Sep 24, 2013
  8. #28     Oct 13, 2013
  9. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

And he would be fired from that job within a couple of months. Marketing today involves digital channels and powerful viral media rollout programs and is very different than marketing in the era that he was involved with... which was more about schmoozing with large organizations (Olympics, etc.) to get endorsements placed on the product.

He would need to be completely up to par on marketing in the modern era from day one to do a proper job as a VP.

#29     Oct 13, 2013
  10. "The youthful and perennially optimistic grandfather considers himself lucky."

Good to hear the dude is positive and still happy.

We are all lucky to even exist, life is great IMO, just waking up this morning taking a breath of fresh air, walking my dog, and looking at the sun rise over the beautiful fall colors makes life worth it. I then bent over to pick up the poop that my dog left on the grass. Did I complain that I had to pick up poop this morning? Poor me, having to pick up poop even though I'm a trader and should never have to do such a thing!! We all put our underwear on the same way. Just humans. No one should have self pity IMO.

The guy is probably thankful he is still healthy enough to even work.

Everyone's worked "shitty" jobs at one point or another. It's how you perceive it.

The world owes you nothing!

#30     Oct 13, 2013