At $50 Billion, Facebook Looks Cheap!

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by misterno, Jan 21, 2011.

1. The evaluation for a site like this is about US$1 per user per month in perceived value.

Here are the Facebook Stats:

People on Facebook -
    More than 500 million active users
    50% of our active users log on to Facebook in any given day
    Average user has 130 friends
    People spend over 700 billion minutes per month on Facebook

Activity on Facebook -
    There are over 900 million objects that people interact with (pages, groups, events and community pages)
    Average user is connected to 80 community pages, groups and events
    Average user creates 90 pieces of content each month
    More than 30 billion pieces of content (web links, news stories, blog posts, notes, photo albums, etc.) shared each month.

Global Reach -
    More than 70 translations available on the site
    About 70% of Facebook users are outside the United States
    Over 300,000 users helped translate the site through the translations application

Platform -
    Entrepreneurs and developers from more than 190 countries build with Facebook Platform
    People on Facebook install 20 million applications every day
    Every month, more than 250 million people engage with Facebook on external websites
    Since social plugins launched in April 2010, an average of 10,000 new websites integrate with Facebook every day
    More than 2.5 million websites have integrated with Facebook, including over 80 of comScore's U.S. Top 100 websites and over half of comScore's Global Top 100 websites

Mobile -
    There are more than 200 million active users currently accessing Facebook through their mobile devices.
    People that use Facebook on their mobile devices are twice as active on Facebook than non-mobile users.
    There are more than 200 mobile operators in 60 countries working to deploy and promote Facebook mobile products

Seems to me to be fair value!

#11     Jan 23, 2011
  2. nLepwa

nLepwa

The problem is there's no other "site like this". So you can't base any valuation on that quote.
    My opinion is that this evaluation doesn't hold when considering high numbers of users.

Beside, $1 /user/month is usually the value of list-based marketing schemes, i.e. the sites that actually sell something to their users.

Facebook is potentially sitting on a gold mine. They need to come up with a business model to exploit it as soon as possible. I don't think they have much time before the next thing takes over.

Ninna

#12     Jan 23, 2011
  3. The Dollar amount is based on advertising potential only.

About 8 - 9 months for the next "big" thing.

#13     Jan 23, 2011
  4. BigSalad

BigSalad

Facebook is worth a thousand MySpaces - MS is worthless to anyone except the music industry.

The potential for adding new business models to FB is insane, and the database they're building is scary. Just combine GroupOn with Facebook and you have another $10 billion company right there.

#15     Jan 24, 2011
  5. S2007S

S2007S

Funny how everyone pushes myspace aside, 5 years ago myspace was the biggest deal on the internet after google. Remember what all are saying today about how facebook and how its worth $35 Billion, $45 Billion and even $50 billion, its all a joke. In a few years time everyone will look back and say remember when all the fools thought facebook was worth these many billions as the next big fad makes its way to the internet. Enough with the hype and fad. The internet changes so quick that facebook will be lucky to have 600 million people in the next 5 years let alone the next 3.....its reaching its popularity peak at the moment. How many more hundreds of millions of people can they add. ITs growth is peaking.

#16     Jan 24, 2011
  6. You're so right.
    Google should disappear any second now.

#17     Jan 24, 2011
  7. He did not mention Google, he is talking about Facebook and how it resembles Myspace 5 years ago. Try reading his post.

What's to say that Facebook has not jumped the shark and the next social networking site is on its way in?

#18     Jan 25, 2011
  8. I was being facetious.

MySpace and Facebook are entirely different but I guess you have to be familiar with this environment and the advertising in it to see that.

Read my previous post as to when I think the next "big thing" will come along.

#19     Jan 25, 2011
  9. To start, 1 in every 12 people on this planet has an account on facebook.

#20     Jan 25, 2011