Assume lets say, that you know exact date and time of Collapse

Discussion in 'Trading' started by JohnathanIII, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Locutus

Locutus

You're really not worth helping, but in case anyone who isn't a retard is wondering about this question:

a) profits are made in terms of the currency in which the security is held. Thus a USD-denominated put on the DJIA will yield profits in USD. Thus if you have a CAD-denominated account and the USD.CAD and the DJIA goes to near-zero, you will have very little CAD profit. However if you hedge the currency risk you will make money. Ultimately you are long USD if you buy puts.
    You could sell futures and convert the proceeds to CAD immediately. If it then collapses you will make money.
    b) A collapse of both USD and DJIA is highly unlikely imo but if it were to happen it will be almost impossible to actually profit from it as a non-US citizen.
    c) As a US citizen, the smartest way to profit from a US market collapse is to buy yourself a shitload of whatever won't collapse with the not-yet worthless USD, like assets in emerging markets or whatever.

Edit: in other words going short into a collapse of something is a lot less smart than going long on the spread between whatever won't collapse, for example the USD.CAD pair as you appear to already appear to have been working into..

#11     Jan 30, 2011
  2. Handle123

Handle123

I would have told you what I would do, but since you do not warrant an answer cause you rather be impolite of other people's opinions, you lose. I don't understand why so many of people like you rather insult then expect others to offer a financial response. Just shows you in poor lite and immaturity.

#12     Jan 30, 2011
    beginner66 likes this.
  3. If the market collapses it is quite possible that the dollar will rally.

IB is a professional form and they did the right thing. You are going around asking financial advice and you should not be doing that because you may get into trouble if you run across scammers. You should contact a licensed professional in your area. There are many ways to do what you are looking for.

#13     Jan 30, 2011
  4. sumfuka

sumfuka

Seriously man, WHAT THE FUCK? You should have at least warned us the video was going to waste our time! :mad:

#14     Jan 30, 2011
  5. tiddlywinks

tiddlywinks

So let's see... Little johnny owns puts on day 1. On day 2 markets and currencies collapse, trading is halted, and banks "freeze". Let's assume Little Johnny was able to execute a closing trade before the halt and freeze, and the execution stood i.e not busted. The funds would be in the currency of the instrument being traded. But since there is a bank freeze, exchange rates could not be determined, currency conversion could not take place, and funds transfer is not available. On day x, a "new" dollar is enacted and introduced with new initial conversion rates or in some cases pegged rates. The banking freeze ends and markets resume trading.

Little Johnny might have a million or two of "new" dollars in his account, convertible at the "new dollar" exchange rate. Factor inflation and taxes, Little Johnny made a cool million on his trade and yet Little Johnny makes nothing!! Little Johnny just doesn't understand.

#15     Jan 30, 2011
  6. the1

the1

If there was ever a thread deserving of being moved to chit-chat....

#16     Jan 30, 2011
  7. I tend to doubt you should invest or trade anything if you are not clear on what to do in case of a market downturn.

I also tend to doubt that your source is very different from that particular video since " Newsellters with secrets on how to make money" and " Market collapse date AND time that YOU KNOW " seems to be your best approach.

PRICE IS the only REALITY for good traders. If there is going to be a collapse, price will tell you and you will be able to act accordingly while following your rules / system.

Attempts to predict the future are futile. The market will do whatever it needs to do, all you can control is what you do, in other words ... " you can not predict where the wind will go but you can adjust your sails. "

I highly doubt that anyone without any audited record to show and a $19.99 or $49 or $99 newseltter will make you rich. Not to mention that there is absolutely no way that anyone can make consistent and accurate predictions about the future.

IF someone can, is certainly not going to tell you :) You'll have better chances in making sure your crystal ball is always clean. Good Luck.

#17     Jan 30, 2011
  8. Gee whiz, Mr. Bernanke, don't you have people that can figure this out for you?

#18     Jan 30, 2011
  9. Quite frankly, you should be locked up for your own good...if not, don't EVER trade...

NiN

#19     Jan 30, 2011
  10. lol did S2000 make this video?

#20     Jan 30, 2011