Asset Pricing - Chicago U

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by eusdaiki, Jun 6, 2015.

1. Hi guys,

There's a MOOC on asset pricing starting June 8.

https://www.coursera.org/course/assetpricing

xandman likes this.
  2. xandman

xandman

They downplay the need for a Finance background. And there is no mention of the Calc sequence, Linear Algebra and Intro Statistics that would be a prerequisite for this course in an academic setting.

3. The first week's review of stochastic calculus will quickly diffuse any doubts about the math level that is needed for the class. :D (pun intended)

4. xandman

xandman

Ok, you just gave me an anxiety attack. My Calculus II refresher starts on Monday after a 20 year hiatus. The University refused to give me credit for III. And, I don't even know how to use a TI84.

eusdaiki likes this.
  5. jejeje... well, that's the feeling that I got when I started viewing the materials for this class.
    The prof is like, "here's an AR1 function, and you know how to derive it, how to get the first and second moment and how to solve to represent Xt's dependency on previous shocks" and he was just going through this like a really easy checklist! :D
    I haven't used calculus in almost 10 years! :O

On the linear alg and stats side im not worried since I've been using it a lot in the last few years for machine learning courses :)

6. xandman

xandman

Typical scare to start a tough course. "Get your tuition refund while it's available." or "You better be sure you can hang or your GPA will get whacked". Fortunately, it's MOOC. My guess, it had to be watered down to the lowest common denominator. Your background implies surpassing the prerequisites.

I say: Take some of it and give us a nice Trader review.;)

eusdaiki likes this.
  7. Yeah MOOCs don't have the whole $$ and GPA stress... so one can enjoy the material without worries. :D