Assent Trading SSL vs. Citrix?

Discussion in 'Order Execution' started by traderJ, Dec 23, 2003.

1. traderJ

traderJ

I am currently trading remote overseas using the Citrix connection which has been working well overall. Assent now offers a new SSL connection does anyone have any experience with this new product. I was not able to connect using the VPN line. Does the SSL work the same as the VPN? Or is it better?
    Thanks

2. lescor

lescor

The SSL is available now? Where did you hear that from? Are you affiliated with a particular office? I'm also remote and use both the citrix and vpn on two accounts, but would like to try this new connection.

3. chuckles

chuckles

SSL is alive and it rocks. I am a tech in an assent office, and I just setup a guy who went remote. We were going to get him a direct t1, but with this ssl and a cable modem, it is just as fast as in the office and we canceld the t1.

Call assent and they will hook you up with it.

Chuckles

4. Sioux

Sioux

Who is providing your Citrix connection?

5. Dustin

Dustin

I'm being told remotes need to go through their Assent branch office to get the SSL. If anyone gets set up please post how the process went.

Thanks

6. alanm

alanm

Quote from chuckles:
    SSL is alive and it rocks. I am a tech in an assent office, and I just setup a guy who went remote. We were going to get him a direct t1, but with this ssl and a cable modem, it is just as fast as in the office and we canceld the t1.

Most recent cable systems will give you 2Mbps downlink, which is faster than a T1 (1.5Mbps) anyway, right? Not that you would/could need that much bandwidth unless Assent has multiple T3s of uplink pipe to feed us. I use about 200K-300Kbps downlink at peak times, watching the top components of the SPX. My uplink requirement is only about 50Kbps peak, and that's when using my graybox, which spews a lot of orders..

I use VPN over a cable modem (from CHTR) with excellent results. From Los Angeles, I have ping times of <100ms.

Since Assent effectively made the VPN application-specific by routing only 10.* addresses over the VPN, and anything else out your local connection to the net, why is the SSL tunnel better?

7. I might be wrong about this, but the Cytrix guys back East that support Hammer for Assent/Sungard were telling me a few months ago that not all REMOTE traders would be able to access SSL.