Assange furious as autobiography hits shelves

Discussion in 'Politics' started by wildchild, Sep 22, 2011.

1. wildchild

wildchild

http://news.yahoo.com/assange-autobiography-hit-shelves-despite-row-015542106.html

"WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange denounced an unauthorised autobiography as it hit bookshops in Britain on Thursday, after he failed to prevent the publisher printing an unfinished manuscript.

"Julian Assange: The Unauthorised Autobiography" is the result of more than 50 hours of interviews between Assange and a ghost writer that was handed over to British publisher Canongate in March.

The company admitted Assange had tried to stop the publication but said they were proud to publish the "passionate, provocative and opinionated" book.

In a lengthy, furious statement issued late Wednesday, Assange accused Canongate of acting in breach of contract and personal assurances that it would not publish the manuscript.

"This book was meant to be about my life's struggle for justice through access to knowledge. It has turned into something else," said the 40-year-old former computer hacker.

"The events surrounding its unauthorised publication by Canongate are not about freedom of information. They are about old-fashioned opportunism and duplicity -- screwing people over to make a buck.""

LOL.

2. Lucrum

Lucrum

Let me get this straight. Julian Assange prides himself in divulging all sorts of sensitive information, but shits his pants when someone does it to him?

3. Ricter

Ricter

I assume it's "lol" because of irony, but it's only irony if Assange's wikileaks were for monetary gain, and my sense is that they're not, that his primary motive is symbolic. I'm sure he hopes to make money with his book, and that's why he's ticked--it's not done.

4. wildchild

wildchild

As if Wikileaks is actually about freedom of information. Wikileaks is about one man's ego. Nothing more and nothing less.

5. Ricter

Ricter

Perhaps, but that still means the leaking wasn't really about money. I think he's an ideologue, though of course money from book sales would be handy to pay his lawyers.

6. pspr

pspr

Auck Fssange :mad:

7. Assange should be extradited to the USA for execution.

Failing this, he shoud have an "accident".

God bless America and Israel.

8. The man is kind of a hypocrite.

Wait. I'll correct myself. He is as big of a hypocrite as one can get.

9. Execute Assange now!

God bless America and Israel.

10. Ricter

Ricter

I still support what wikileaks has been doing. If you don't want the world to see what a piece of shit you are, don't be a piece of shit.

#10     Sep 22, 2011