Asking the right questions

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by lojze, Jun 18, 2002.

1. Don't forget that there are costs associated witht heability to short on downticks. those bullet costs add up, very insidious but all too real

#11     Jun 18, 2002
  2. lojze

lojze

If my reasons are the same than yours, but we are on opposite sides - am I wrong?

Lojze

#12     Jun 18, 2002
  3. The first question I thnk you should ask is to your yourself. What are you looking for from a firm ? What are the main reasons you want to leave where you are now ? Once you ask those and answer them you can move on to what to ask the firm.

I told you this would be a smart thread. :D

#13     Jun 18, 2002
  4. lojze

lojze

Hi Stockrock1,

I think, that it is easier to move from the amount of capital which I have right now to the 25K limit. That's the most important reason.
    The second is shorting on downtick. This is maybe not as important, but I like it.

Should there be any other reason, maybe more important?
    Or drawback?

Lojze

#14     Jun 18, 2002
  5. Mr. Stock is 100% correct. Until you know yourself and know what you really really want, then you will never ask anyone else the right questions.

#15     Jun 18, 2002
  6. I don't know the company you are with now, so I can't comment on comparisons. I myself (trading at Schoni) never shorted on downticks, it wasn't available to me. Only recently have I heard bullets (apparently I don't know everything). It seems I was encased in the trading world of Schonfeld and therefore wasn't aware of the options elsewhere. This bullet stuff interests me. I will see how I like it.

I'm not sure what you mean about moving from the amount of capital you have now to 25k. Does that mean you have have more than 25k as capital at a firm ?

From the sound of things it doesn't seem like you have any real complaints or shortcomings (pun intended) at your present firm.

I'll wait for a response from you before I say more.

#16     Jun 19, 2002
  7. lojze

lojze

Hi Stockrock1,

I am trading with IB right now and with less than 10K of a capital.

So, I really don't know much (almost nothing about the world of prop's.

Lojze

#17     Jun 19, 2002
  8. Andre

Andre

My questions to you (not them) are... have you calculated fees into how much you'll need to make to cover their overhead? Are you making a living trading now? Do you really think not trading the downtick is hurting you? Do you have a day job?

Heck, my big issue is the environment of some of those places.
    From one of our Master Interviews:

The last time we talked, you were thinking about moving to a day trading firm to have some camaraderie.

I did move to a day trading firm, Andover Trading, so I trade at an office now. Many of the guys there trade like crazy, I mean they’re sweating and screaming. You can tell their heart is beating a lot of faster than mine. I’m sitting there drinking a coke and watching my stock, waiting for its move.

I watch my stress level pretty closely because I actually know someone who had a heart problem, and he tended to trade a large volume of shares. I began trading more than usual when I first started going to the firm, because everyone around me was trading all the time. But I’m very laidback in general. I like to read the news and after I make a trade I like to get up and walk around. Just relax.

Are you able to do remain as relaxed as when you traded at home?

I am. It took me about two weeks and a couple of thousand dollars to get back to my normal level of stress and trading style. Now I trade a lot smaller share sizes because of the market conditions, and I’m very relaxed.

My point is, there are alot of reasons to trade with a firm, just as there are alot of reasons to stay at home. I can see why it would be tempting to move into a firm, better connections, tools, etc. But I don't think I'd want the kind of environment described above.

Food for thought.

#18     Jun 19, 2002
  9. lojze,

check your Private Messages.

#19     Jun 19, 2002
  10. lojze

lojze

I did and answered.

Be in touch. OK?

Lojze

#20     Jun 19, 2002