Asking for some serious help guys.

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by Don Bright, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Maverick74

Maverick74

Don, what exactly are you looking for? I'm confused why you even want to bother with the relationship floor trading has with the present. A much better book (in my humble opinion of course) would be to write a book about prop traders in general. I've toyed with the idea of writing one myself. And being that you run a prop firm, might be good for business. See, always looking out for ya Donny boy. :)

But you did sell boats right? Maybe it was jet ski's at Lake Havasu. I'm got a good memory huh?

#11     Feb 18, 2012
  2. krittika

krittika

The history is full of such the ''from blackjack counters to companies worth of millions'' stories.I don`t see it`s interesting anymore.Who cares someone has made $500ml?I don`t.

p.s.Imitation is a very serious obstacle,as a matter of fact...

#12     Feb 18, 2012
  3. I've been approached by 3 or 4 publishers, and even offered some money (not much, LOL) to write a history of the markets, transitioning from outcry to pure electronic. We were the first "group" to use computer models combined with "off floor" capacity and all that. The blackjack is a major "hook" as they call it. Having reached a level of success in Bright Trading gives them something to refer to in the context of current success, etc.

And, yes, when I was still doing public accounting, a very close friend (then and now) was starting a ski boat dealership in Anaheim CA. He needed accounting expertise, help raising money, etc. I told him I would do that for him, for a percentage of the business, we did pretty well overall. Sold the business right after the gas prices skyrocketed. Then to Washington State, as a Controller for a friend's electrical contracting firm and to build some racquetball courts etc. Then to the trading floors with Bob. Then "semi-retired" into Solar Electric Engineering, building environmental homes which turned in ZAP electric vehicles from U.S. Electricar, working with my "Hollywood Mafia" as I called them (Leslie Nielsen, Robin Williams, Frank Wells (Disney pres with Mike Eisner), and David Zucker etc. on and on environmental people in the industry. So, I guess I sold cars too, LOL. Anyway, looking back, it must have been fun, and seriously it was and still is.

I'm hoping you can provide me a chapter or so as well. Working with the Braun family at WorldCo....should be a lot of memories from that era, right?

Look, I can't travel like I'm used to, and am in a position to chat with some friends who have been instrumental in our industry. GS insiders and all the rest, help me out John..... before I start getting senile, LOL. Maybe too late....

All the best everyone, thanks, and send me PM's or post here.

Don

#13     Feb 18, 2012
  4. Interesting, and thanks for the input. Anything in particiular that I can refer to? The MIT stuff is only a small portion of blackjack, and the "johny come latelys" of the 1990's are not relevant in my opinion. The first groups were much more interesting, cool, etc. We met in non-descript homes away from towns to share information, almost "fly ins" - a little paranoid, LOL.

And, we're in a little world of our own here, but the general public still seems interested...at least according to the book people. The "entrepreneur" aspect is solid these days, they say.

Anyway, any info on other books would be appreciated.

Don

#14     Feb 18, 2012
  5. krittika

krittika

Your personal story on how you`ve built it your way,the people who have helped you,the obstacles you`ve encountered etc...''...There,I met one guy who turned me on...'' story as well as some practical advises(''if you want to do this,go and meet that guy,tell him this or that...'' etc...) you would be much useful and interesting.

#15     Feb 18, 2012
  6. Thank you, that's sort of the plan.

Don

#16     Feb 18, 2012
  7. krittika

krittika

YVW!

I`d love to read it.

#17     Feb 18, 2012
  8. Would you be interested in a former high-stakes count team guy turned trader? Colleague of mine who trades who used to play for the Greeks.

#18     Feb 18, 2012
  9. shanap

shanap

I think it would be interesting to include what makes up the personality of a successful trader - mindset, psychological traits etc. and relate those aspects to the people profiled.

#19     Feb 19, 2012
  10. I know mostly failed traders so cant help.

#20     Feb 19, 2012