Ask Yourself WHY the SEC is even considering banning ALL short selling.....

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by flytiger, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Are you kidding me? We're just getting started. Did you see Patrick say "barney gets it"

Barney called me, three years ago. Bitch slapped me like you couldn't believe. Now, he's an expert. I'm not the type of guy to take a tongue lashiing (bad choice of words here) from a fegala. But I had no choice.

Brother, we have to finish this, or we're finished. A major money manager called us yesterday. He wanted to talk to Dr. Bryne. Patrick was busy, asked if his lawyer, who is now I guess Pres of Overstock could call. The guy wanted technical details. JJ took care of it, and was done in 15 minutes. Called me, said, "the guy believes it terrorism." I thanked him for stepping up, and JJ said, 'we won't quit.' And we won't. None of us will quit. You have to move when you have the momo. And all of these Senators and Congressman????? They know. They are posturing for the election. They know it all.

This JOAB guy is angry, but he's three years behind me. He's angry because his Industry blindsided him. I was there once. Moved on. It's not so bad. They sold out the country. So, he's got an office of guys looking to blame somebody. Ok. Blame me. I know what I have to do. And btw, this board, and the PM function, have given us plenty of leads. Plenty!!!! And thanks.

#41     Sep 24, 2008
  2. Joab

Joab

Your right the market is FUCKED but not only for shorts your 401k is going to be worth zilch as well.

Hope you enjoy the world without Capitalism.

Commie pinko :cool:

#42     Sep 24, 2008
  3. My question is why is the SEC not banned ????????

#43     Sep 24, 2008
  4. Best question I've heard all week.

#44     Sep 24, 2008
  5. Yep. Veteran, US ARMY, enlisted because I thought it was the fair think to do, while all my friends went to college, got drunk and laid. Spent ten years here working to set my country right. And you have the audacity to queston my patriotism?

I don't like to wish people harm , except maybe John Mack, Blankfien, anybody in government. But for you, I'll make an exception. You are exceptional dense, stupid soul, with no moral fiber. Let me explain to you, other people inhabit the planet, and their welfare matters as much as yours.
    See you in Hell.

#45     Sep 24, 2008
  6. http://www.cnbc.com/id/26884624/
    Chadwick: Bring Back the Uptick Rule!
    Topics:politics & Government

Patricia Chadwick
    Founder and President
    Ravengate Partners LLC

The uptick rule made sense when it was instituted back in 1938 and 70 years later it still makes sense. Simply stated, the rule required that a short sale be executed only if the latest transaction in the stock was at a price higher than the previous trade, (i.e. had been an uptick). The various arguments made for its elimination do not hold water relative to the rationale for its existence � as a check and balance against "bear raids" on stocks. Its elimination was a mistake and the recent rampant and destructive bear raids on more than a handful of financial stocks is evidence of that mistake.

Seasoned and sophisticated investors have voiced opinions on both sides of the issue, but the astonishing swiftness with which Morgan Stanley�s stock fell last week � 40% in a matter of a couple of hours � begs the question of whether that could have happened if there had still been an uptick rule.

Shorting is a legitimate investment practice but unbridled it can be �the tail that wags the dog" and as such should be subject to rules that do not allow it to wantonly destroy capital.

In fact I would argue that in today�s investment environment � where leveraged hedge funds control far more of invested assets than ever before, where foreign capital can attempt to sabotage our markets by committing financial terrorism (YES � think Putin!! think Ahmadinejad!!!) and where the internet is used as an abettor in nefarious schemes designed to destroy stocks � the uptick rule is more useful than ever before.

It adds a small measure of transparency in an otherwise murky investment environment. An uptick indicates that at least for a moment in time the buyers outweigh the sellers and that is very useful information to other potential buyers and/or sellers. Without an uptick rule, there is nothing to keep rogue sellers from borrowing capital and then shorting without actually borrowing the stock (illegal but done) and then blogging rumors and outright lies to panic other long holders into selling their shares, thereby generating a bear raid reaping the benefits of their scheme.

The uptick rule did no harm during its useful life. Hedge funds grew and flourished under its regime. Let�s reinstate it and help to keep a check on those who would wantonly destroy companies for their own gain.

What other CNBC Contributors are Saying ...

#46     Sep 25, 2008
  7. Joab

Joab

You killed people in the name of righteousness ?

While you were off killing human beings, I was downtown working for a brokerage firm, learning how capitalism works.

It's you that is dense and brainwashed my friend.

Your answers to problems are FUCKED.

The truth is I am far more moral and ethical than you.

I believe the heart of men is good and I do not believe that anyone needs to be controlled (unless they are as loony as a bat as you are) and even then I don't think you need to be controlled only IGNORED.

#47     Sep 25, 2008
  8. sprstpd

sprstpd

It harms me. This article is unbelievably ignorant, just like everyone who says that the uptick rule needs to be brought back.

#48     Sep 25, 2008
  9. Your tune will change in a few days.

#49     Sep 25, 2008
  10. sprstpd

sprstpd

Ummmm, no it won't.

#50     Sep 25, 2008