Ask Dr. Deco

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by hypostomus, Oct 26, 2003.

#11     Oct 27, 2003
  2. This is an outrage. I asked a question, a valid question that must be on the minds of others. And what do I get? The suggestion that I cavort with whores, and some incoherent reference to Yahoo (an organization I have crusaded to close down for years).

Obviously the person behind this thread is a fraud. No wonder, since this forum is a fraud. Leading one to the conclusion that the entire board, it's staff and management are frauds!

Must I consult with an attorney to have the charge of cavorting with whores removed, and to seek redress for the trouble this unfounded accusation has brought to my marital bed?

So here is another question for you. Mrs. Public is not only angry, but feels humiliated, unable to function in a wifely fashion, and incapable of facing her friends. So what do you plan on doing about it?

#12     Oct 27, 2003
  3. ...thank you you for your polite reply. You must indeed be a rod of iron if you have issues of self control but do not allow this to affect your trading. You are not giving me much to work with here, but could it be that you exercise supreme will in your trading, but allow yourself the outlet of being relatively uncontrolled through the medium of ET? This appears to be the case with many posters here, who indulge themselves in rambling repetition in multiple simultaneous threads, boastful bravado, or sheer carping meanness (I assume that they are not simply trying to impress the management in hopes of becoming moderators).

Do tell me more of how you exercise self control to keep your lack of self control from affecting your trading.

Arthur (Art) Deco, M.D.

#13     Oct 27, 2003
  4. ...please accept my most profound apologies upon my lapse from strictly professional decorum. From my limited experience of the cyberspace personality, I was not mentally prepared baldly to accept a post literally for what it said. You are indeed "the voice of him that crieth in the wilderness". I wish you well in your campaign to eradicate stupidity from the world. Alas, stupidity and anonymity often are synonymous.

As to your unfortunate marital difficulties, let me suggest that you do not surf ET in bed with your wife. This will have the felicitous result of not exposing her to any slanders (true or otherwise) which your (presumed manifold) detractors may hurl at you as a martyr for sagacity. I must say that ET is a very peculiar choice of foreplay material, as there are so many sources of wholesome visual connubial aids on the web.

With regard to Mrs. Public's unfortunate anger, humiliation, and inability to function (you were curiously vague as to her specific incapacity), the obvious tonic is to allow her to trade! The resulting arousal of fear and lust should provide you some interesting action. I suspect that our esteemed Mr. Sulong knows whereof I speak, as in all probability he must trade in those hours in which one is normally asleep and dreaming of fear and lust without the aid of the market as an aphrodisiac.

Arthur (Art) Deco, M.D.

#14     Oct 27, 2003
  5. Your apology does little to compensate for the loss of Mrs. Public's affection and comfort. I may yet consult with my attorney to seek relief in this matter. While your contrition appears, on the surface, to be sincere, it does little to repair the damage your flippant remarks have caused within my marriage.

On another issue. I am gratified to read that you understand, and presumably support my efforts in reducing if not eliminating stupidity. While my efforts are directed primarily towards ET, I do plan on expanding them to encompass all of cyberspace.

May I enlist your good name in this seemingly never ending battle?

#15     Oct 27, 2003
  6. ...as a lifelong practitioner of the arts of self-understanding, it would be my great pleasure to assist you in your campaign to eradicate stupidity. Bear in mind, however, that as we say here in Texas, "Truly stupid people don't know that they are". ET therefore was probably a poor choice of venue to launch your noble mission.

Do you have no psychological issues in trading you wish to explore?

Arthur (Art) Deco, M.D.

#16     Oct 27, 2003
  7. I am not quite sure what you mean by "issues in trading". I, of course am a psychologically healthy individual, as any fool could tell from perusing my posts.

But since you brought it up, and it is somewhat related to the overall topic of trading, when I was a bit younger, the year was 1959 I believe, I was indeed a major player in the trading arena. Perhaps my greatest trade came in the late spring of thet year, when I managed to exchange one Ernie Banks (Chicago Cubs Shortstop) for Robin Roberts (Philadelphia Phillies Pitcher) and Richie Ashburn (Philadelphia Phillies Outfielder) with a lad two years my junior.

While I look back on the transaction with a degree of pride to this day, I still wonder if perhaps I took advantage of the lad.

Would you care to comment?

#17     Oct 27, 2003
  8. ...let me say at the outset that it is so refreshing to correspond with a person here who has the courage to post under his own name. Judging from the trading example you offer us for psychological analysis, you are a person of some repute. Making a rough estimate of your age, it would appear that verily you are falling off of the bottom of the actuarial tables, and I salute your longevity. At the very least, you are of an age, as am I, at which death is no longer optional.

But to your trade example. It is indeed a classic, and illuminates many pertinent aspects of trading. First, and sadly, it is rarely possible to trade people any more. Free agency, the demise of the studio contract system, the abolition of the draft, and the Great Emancipation have reduced such opportunities to near nothing. In my humble opinion this explains the attractiveness to, and the influx of, extreme sadists to the financial markets.

Second, your evident pleasure, undimmed by the years, of cheating a naive associate in a trade illuminates a little recognized benefit of trading. Before I started my trading career, I did not consider my own psychological makeup to be auspicious. But I remembered the NLP dictum "What can you do with a problem like that?", and realised that sadism is indeed an appropriate psychological position from which to approach the markets. I derive very satisfying petites morts from knowing that a profitable trade has screwed someone, taken food off of his table, and caused him to feel like a fool.

Thirdly, trading, much like ET, performs a social good because it keeps otherwise frustrated and potentially dangerous individuals off the streets.

Arthur (Art Deco), M.D.

#18     Oct 27, 2003
  9. balda

balda

ask moderator on this. each time you upload any thread it will count as being viewed. so 2000 views could come from 30 viewers.

#19     Oct 27, 2003
  10. ...thank you for enlightening me on the arithmetic of posts. That means that the number of viewers might be of the same order of magnitude as the number of variables in my too-few-degrees-of freedom trading systems. [ :D ]

As long as I am here, I might as well comment upon my research this morning into my little friend's new trading idea, "Hypostomus' Hypertrophied Hypothesis" (try thaying that without lithping!). There is a General Theory and a Special Theory, the latter being easier for legendarily under-intellectually-endowed traders to understand. En bref, it is that for NQ, there is an opening minute volume threshold which predicts the volatility of the opening hour. The General Theory, as you might generally and in general generalize, generalizes to all trades issues. The Special Theory worked magnificently this morning, adding yet another way to keep me from losing money by not trading.

Arthur (Art) Deco, M.D.

[Edit: RLB]

#20     Oct 27, 2003