Asian Traders

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by achu717, Aug 15, 2002.

1. graeco

graeco Guest

I have bookmarked that site.

#11     Aug 18, 2002
  2. def

def Sponsor

HK is very expensive (recently ranked the most expensive city in the world). A decent apartment costs a small fortune. The further away from central you get the more affordable it becomes. You won't be able to move here without being sponsored for a visa/work permit. With that said, I have no idea why anyone would want to relocate here without a well paying job. I'm sure if you looked you could find a roomate. AsiaXpat is a good place to start. When in HK also look for the "HK Magazine" personal section which comes out every friday. The income tax is 15%. There is no catch - except if you are a US citizen, you are taxed globally after around the first 80K USD in earnings. As for China, unless you are fluent in Mandarin and again sponsored for a job, it would be tough to move there. Shanghai is booming and there are probably opportunities.

Internet and Telco infrastructure are excellent. Much better than Australia (sorry zen). Broadband would be about $50 bucks a month.

Australia: Great place to live (Sydney & Melbourne) - horrible trading hours if you want to trade the US. also horrible taxes. I'd be tempted to move our Asian operations to Sydney if it weren't for the taxes (corporate and personal).

#12     Aug 18, 2002
  3. spectre

spectre

Out of curiousity, how do you manage indicators using chart data on non-continuous contracts (monthly contracts on HKFE + SIMEX et al- most liquid being current month).

Thanks.

#13     Aug 18, 2002
  4. def

def Sponsor

we don't use charts.

as for managing forward value, last i heard you can get a pretty good indication of a forward value using Spot + interest - dividends. :)

i should add, quite often we are the only firm showing and making live(option markets on the screen. part of the excitement/job is having the confidence to know when you are wrong and right and more importantly managing the risk. i.e. can we lay off a hedge , is our position managable, are we confident in our vols, interest, data, etc.

#14     Aug 18, 2002
  5. MrX

MrX

Does anyone know who can provide charts for HSI (HANG SENG STOCK INDEX). I currently use esignal but as of right now they do not have HSI. Is there another reliable vendor out there?

Thanks

#15     Aug 18, 2002
  6. def

def Sponsor

you can try prosticks (www.prosticks.com).
    IB's data is real time so I wouldn't be surprised if someone wrote a charting package via the API from it. Qcharts is also programming into IB. I'm not sure when they'll be done on the futures side but my guess is that that package will be able to chart the HSI.

#16     Aug 18, 2002
  7. Hendrix

Hendrix

Futuresource and Reuters/Bridge also cover most of the Asian markets, including the HSI/HSI Futures.
    I have not yet got around to trialling either of them.

#17     Aug 19, 2002
  8. They are working on enabling the IB Quote Feed feed into their program. Supposed to be ready in the Fall.

#18     Aug 19, 2002
  9. MrX

MrX

Just tried them last night, so far I think it's exactly what I need for the money. It worked flawlessly with IB and for getting a feel for the HSI it's a great product.

Thanks all.

#19     Aug 19, 2002
  10. sub7slak

sub7slak

My roommate was from HK, do most of the traders live near the Kowloon area (like near Jordan Road or something) so they are closer to the financial district? Just wondering whether there are any other places like Tuen Mun that are an alternative to living there (so it's cheaper)

#20     Sep 5, 2002