Asian Markets

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by brockattack, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Hi there MarketMonk,

That looks like a nice little cheat sheet. I have nothing like that, sorry.

I like to trade the Nikkei mainly because out of the Asian SIFs, it is probably the smoothest. Kospi is a bit more jiggly for me. HSI is jiggly to the maximum. There is lots of choice if trading the Nikkei. You could choose the Osaka contracts (mini or full-size) or you could choose the Singapore contract. All contracts have good volumes keeping the spread at 1 tick. Arbs keep them in line. Margin is low on the Nikkei contracts.

Then there is also the issue of datafeed.Since I started using marketdelta early last year I switched from IB feed to DTN IQFeed. At this time they only offer Singapore exchange so that limits my market selection. I really hope they add more Asian markets in the future, but I have heard no comment from them either way.

One thing I really like about Asian markets is their session times. Aside from them being more favorable to someone living in the southern hemisphere, I like the extra break in the middle of the day. The SIFs (don't know about JGB) trade in 2 sessions. There is the first session, then a break for lunch (1.5 hour on the nikkei), followed by the second session. I don't think I've noticed a meaningful gap open from the lunch time re-open.

Kind regards,
    MK

#21     Jan 23, 2007
  2. Hi MK and all,

Just a quick note to thank everyone for their comments. I am slammed at the moment and will try to respond in detail later but certainly appreciate the suggestions so far.

Hey, I would be glad to share my cheat sheet with anyone who would like a copy and also would appreciate any assistance in creating an Asian version.

Yes, I know that IB has a lot of the data at their website but I am getting old (lol) and the cheat sheet saves me from looking up this data (especially when you are just starting out and don't have it memorized yet).

On another note, I fired off an email to the CFTC regarding the mini Hang Seng and got a very nice response back from them suggesting that I contact HKE directly to petition them to submit an application to the CFTC. Which I plan to do.

They also indicated that the KOSPI futures contract is under review and could not provide an estimated time as to when a determination would be made.

Trade well,

MM

#22     Jan 23, 2007
  3. def

def Sponsor

FYI, the costs of applying for CFTC approval are > $100K USD. The MHI contract is 1/5 the size of HSI but also trades a fraction of the volume. There is no reason for the exchange to believe that with CFTC approval the mini volume would increase to justify the cost.

#23     Jan 23, 2007
  4. any expansion plans to include Asian cash equities?

#24     Jan 23, 2007
  5. def

def Sponsor

yes, look for an announcement next week.

#25     Jan 23, 2007
  6. Thx for all the info def - you IB guys here at ET do a tiptop job IMHO.

Best regards,
    MK

#26     Jan 23, 2007
  7. hi def, are you not doing jpn equities yet? i briefly looked at the site last week and the list of markets & instruments - you got all the JSE stocks - and thought u did... wrong?

#27     Jan 23, 2007
  8. def

def Sponsor

yes we currently offer Japan. The question was any expansion plans in Asia.

#28     Jan 23, 2007
  9. Hi def (or anyone at IB),

How is that agenda looking with regard to JPY commissions, in particular Osaka and SGX?

Best regards,
    MK

#29     Mar 19, 2007