Asian High Yield Corporate Bond Funds

Discussion in 'Fixed Income' started by xandman, Dec 7, 2021.

1. xandman

xandman

US residence do not seem to have any choices for this asset class. I found the iShares fund at SGX/SEHK but IBKR states that "US residents cannot take positions...".

Anybody know alternatives?

2. MrMuppet

MrMuppet

When there are capital controls there are capital controls.
    And when financial institutes don't want US clients, they don't want US clients.

No way around it

murray t turtle and xandman like this.
  3. xandman

xandman

So, this is broad regulation around the world which prevents US retail investors?

4. every region/asset class has some form of regulation which limits what types of investors can access the vehicle (fund). you can get some exposure through an indexed vehicles like iagg or a local currency bond fund, but that's about it.

5. xandman

xandman

I can't even access Canadian funds based on the Hang Send Dividend Index. That's funny, considering the hyped up garbage listed on American exchanges.

I will email IBKR for master list of accessible China funds.

6. ph1l

ph1l

HYEM VanEck Emerging Markets High Yield Bond ETF
    has some holdings from Asia.

7. MrMuppet

MrMuppet

US global tax rules imply that also foreign financial institutes have to report activity to the IRS and nobody wants to deal with this BS. So they just avoid US clients alltogether

8. xandman

xandman

I am guessing this COULD leave the possibility of tax withholding even for accounts registered as tax-exempt.

9. xandman

xandman

It does seem to have the aggressiveness I am looking for. Mostly BB corporates. Too bad it's only a 13% allocation. It's the most I have seen for US investors.

MStar Best in category.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
  10. ajacobson

ajacobson

Reciprocal compliance agreement with the SEC. That is why in some markets you can trade CFTC regulated products, but not SEC-regulated. Institutions - even US-based are "usually" exempt if they have size assets.

#10     Dec 7, 2021
    murray t turtle and zdreg like this.