Asian daytrading makes a comeback

Discussion in 'Economics' started by BlueHorseshoe, Feb 18, 2006.

1. as far as I am aware us residents cannot trade sgxnk options/hang seng futs and options/ german, uk and asian stocks. still, japanese stocks are not offered for trading by ib anyways.

#11     Feb 19, 2006
  2. #12     Feb 19, 2006
  3. Thanks for the screaming sell-signal.

#13     Feb 19, 2006
  4. "screaming sell signal" lol. Nikkei is significantly undervalued vis a vis the S&P. it's been a looooooooooooong bear market.

i've traded the SGXNK product *(singapore) and it is very tradeable and very trendy. my one qualm is that the spread sux. I won't trade the ES (i only trade YM) because i think the spread on ES sux, so you can see where i am coming from. spread in singapore is 5 pts, but considering it moves 100 pts+ in a move quite often, that aint too bad. you most definitely CAN trade hong kong (hang seng) futures in the US. you cannot trade the MINI, but the fullsize contract is only about USD $5 per point. Hang Seng is much more difficult to trade. somebody described it as "the DAX on crack" which is about right. actually, it's more like the DAX on crystal meth.

it is the options (foreign index options) that you cannot trade in the USA. hang seng and nikkei futures otoh are great, and i trade them through IB.

if u want options (whether to hedge a futures position, or just as a long or short position), options on EWJ, EWH etc. are the way to go.

#14     Feb 19, 2006
  5. gwailos are not permitted in asia.

#15     Feb 19, 2006
  6. yes, 5points spread on sgx but 5points is 1tick and it takes a second for the mkt to move 20-50points away from your order....look at the bloody nq or es and its laughable spreads, and yet they have no anywhere near the same ranges as nikkei, so in conclusion 5points it's actually pretty tight considering it is 1tick and u are exposed to quick movements that more often than not blossom into trends.
    long live the nikkei

#16     Feb 19, 2006
  7. 5 pts is one tick BECAUSE it is the minimum movement. but on a 15,000 pt contract it is too thick a spread imo, since I am used to trading the YM which is 1 pt spread on an 11,000 point contract. because the nikkei is particularly volatile and has big trends right now, it kind of evens out (5 pt spread on a 100 pt move is roughly equivalent to a 1 pt spread (YM) on a 20 pt move on the YM). i agree about the NQ and ES which is why i do not trade them. the spread is ridiculous. imo, the YM is a vastly superior trading instrument to the ES, for a # of reasons, one of which is the spread.

#17     Feb 19, 2006
  8. swings can be much bigger than 100points, sometimes from lows to highs it's 500-600 and u can't compare the sissy ym with this kinda monster: nikkei is a complete different breed.

#18     Feb 19, 2006
  9. sgx singapore futs has just opened, look what happened during the first 5min of trading..heee heee:

#19     Feb 19, 2006
  10. Does anybody know the symbology on the Asian markets through SGX on esignal?

I have the NI225 but need the others.

Thanks in advance.

TC

#20     Feb 19, 2006