Asia Is Getting Ready to Dump the Dollar Peg

Discussion in 'Economics' started by wincorp, May 8, 2006.

1. That's my point exactly.

When the dollar went through the floor late 2004, people were calling for 1.50 EUR/USD by the end of 2005. The calls were everywhere. Even more outrageous were the same folks calling for PAR (haha!) when the dollar pounded the euro back to 1.16 after that. These calls, incidently, by the same analysts and traders on this forum as the ones for 1.50.

People love to attach themselves to a crisis whenever they anticipate one.

Now, maybe the dollar WILL drop some massive amount, who knows! But there are always chicken littles who will scream "the sky is falling, the sky is falling!" Eventually, one of them might be right, but it's due to chance.

I mean, just look at the very first line in this thread:

Ah, that old rumor mill! First it was bin Laden was caught, then it was how the US would attack Iran with nuclear weapons! This time it's passing around rumors of a 25% drop! Oh yeah, that's something the rumor mill will definitely get right.

#11     May 9, 2006
  2. gnome

gnome

I think it's a good bet the $USD drops -75% from here before the Boomer generation has died out... maybe evey -90%.

Young people take heed....

#12     May 9, 2006
  3. So if it's dropping -75%, does that mean it's rising 75%? Double negatives, and all that, you know.

Incidently, what date do you put on the cataclysm? I'll settle for a year, if you're keen.

#13     May 9, 2006
  4. The Dollar is getting close to a bottom.

So the crisis mongers will have to move onto another subject in the next few months.

#14     May 9, 2006
  5. gnome

gnome

No, not a double negative.

When the $USD breaks support @ 78-80, likely drop to 40s within 2-3 years. Then, when the Boomer's entitlements are in full force, Gummint has no choice but to print money to "honor" the obligations... which are monstrous.

I can't pick a date, but the Boomers start hitting 65 about 2011.

#15     May 9, 2006
  6. I suggest we have an international currency:

The I see you,

I mean I.C.U.

#16     May 9, 2006
  7. Ok, *gets pencil*...got you down for DAX at 40s in 2-3 years, and by 2011, the beginning of the "US armageddon".

Cheers.

#17     May 9, 2006
  8. The Dollar will not break major support ...

#18     May 9, 2006
  9. gnome

gnome

I think it will. Gummint *wants* it to.

#19     May 9, 2006