Asia Investment

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by tlojek, Dec 5, 2003.

1. tlojek

tlojek

Does anyone knows a good webside about investment in asia? Especially about technology investments?

2. What do you have in mind? Are you looking to invest in a business per se or are you looking for stocks? If its the former I suggest you get over here and check 4 yourself.

Just a thought.

3. I'm fairly well versed in tech. investing in Asia and my answer to you is no - haven't found a one-stop shop for Asia-specific tech investment ideas. I wouldn't really expect one or go looking for one either.

The issue is that tech is so integrated. For instance, any PC you buy in the states is likely assembled in China by a Taiwanese firm, of Taiwan, Korean, Japanese and China manufactured components. So it often most beneficial to look at the food chain rather than by geography.

4. tlojek

tlojek

BlueHorseshoe,

thank you for your reply. That´s an interesting aspect. I like to learn more about what´s going on in Asia´s devolopment. And in technology as well. The most exciting field for now and the future. That´s why I am looking for an interesting source...

5. IMO tech isn't the story - it is the emergence of China into the 21st century. The migration of tech manufacturing to low-cost China is just one part of the larger phenomenon.

A good starting place would be with carefully following some US-listed China plays like PTR, CYD, SINA, etc. etc. Also TSM/UMC/ASX/SPIL/ASTSF in Taiwan-Republic of China. The Taiwan names are all tech ADRs listed in the US. Also, all are in the process of migrating production to China and count the largest US semi firms as clients.

'American components, Russian components, All Made in Taiwan!'

6. tlojek

tlojek

BlueHorseshoe,

thank you very much for your infos. I will defently take a look at these stocks.

7. A perfect example:

SAN FRANCISCO, Dec 9 (Reuters) - Semiconductor stocks fell broadly on Tuesday after the world's two largest contract microchip makers, Taiwan-based TSMC and UMC, posted disappointing November revenues.

Shares of Intel Corp. (NasdaqNM:INTC - News), the largest maker of semiconductors, fell 4.4 percent ...

"The data out of Taiwan wasn't so hot," Michael McConnell, an analyst at Pacific Crest Securities, said when asked why nearly all the semiconductor stocks were down.

http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/031209/tech_chips_stocks_2.html