Ash Wednesday and the VP.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Wallet, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Wallet

Wallet

Not that I'm opposed, but I was surprised to see our VP Biden, promoting Ash Wednesday, with the traditional ashes on his forehead.

Didn't think this administration was into religious/political/government intermingling?

fwiw,

2. In this country, I think people should be allowed to practice their personal faith without second guessing from the press or the public. If the Jewish Connecticut senator wants to wear a yarmulke, or the native American Senator (Colorado) wanted to wear a religious item reflecting his heritage, whatever. I think that should be their business.

I am no Muslim, but the rules forcing Muslim women to give up their headscarves in Europe was in very poor taste. Democracy and western freedoms should allow people to express their beliefs, regardless of their position, as long as it is in good taste.

If Hilary Rodham Clinton decided to wear a bikini to a summit in Saudi Arabia, then it might not go over very well. Of courwse, I would want to look in the other direction :D

3. Wallet

Wallet

I agree, and if a office worker in a government office wants to have a cross or even a small nativity scene at Christmas , in their office they should be allowed to do so.

But the mere though of such activity, starts an avalanche of lawsuits.

And is why I was surprised by the VP's actions. Again, not opposed, just caught of guard by a top level administration member promoting a religious preference, specifically Christian in nature

4. Obama put his cigarette out on Biden's forehead for asking what the "web site number" was.

5. I don't think he was "promoting a religious preference." Rather, he was merely observing his own. I am not at all a proponent of religion, but let us call his conduct for what it is.