As usual Paul Krugman is WRONG on economics

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Daal, Jan 5, 2009.

1. When was Russia NOT a slave labor country? It was certainly under the czars, even after Alexander I's decision to end serfdom, and of course under the Soviets, but are you denying that the USSR made remarkable progress between the end of WW1 (during which the country was so messed up that soldiers were embarrassingly underarmed and that the country was under the influence of a faith healer/sex addict) and the start of WW2?

The planned economy was cruel and inhumane, no doubt. Morally bankrupt, the USSR nevertheless transformed itself from a backward state to a world power in less than thirty years.

#61     Jan 6, 2009
  2. Smilingsynic, you probably referenced an example most on these boards cannot understand. They do not remember the seriousness with which the US considered the communist threat with its improving economy and scientific achievements like putting a man in space in the 1960s.

Maybe if you bring up Japan with its keiretsu and zaibatsu and France and its policy of dirigisement as examples they might have something they can reference. Then again maybe not.

#62     Jan 6, 2009
  3. clacy

clacy

Go back and look at my post. That's why I said "in my opinion". That's what it is and I stand by it. It's not that I think you would like to see a Soviet style communist goverment in place here in the US, it's that I believe you would like to see an "improved" version of communisim.

I do find it pretty funny that you "threatened" to put me on ignore, as if being ignored on an anonymous message board is something to be feared.

Fucking laughable.

#63     Jan 6, 2009
  4. I think somebody needs an economy lesson... :p

#64     Jan 6, 2009