As swing trader is scalping background is useful ?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Leob, Jan 16, 2022.

1. Scalp trading and swing trading mainly differ in the time-frame. Scalpers enter and exit their positions quickly with a holding period of just a few seconds or a few minutes which allows them to perform hundreds of trades in a day. Swing traders, on the other hand, make fewer trades but hold them for a slightly longer time frame which may be from a few days to a few weeks.

Now as per the question of mixing these two strategies, I think it’s a bad decision. You can perform both the strategies on two different accounts but if you are thinking of implementing both of them on the same account, you are most likely to get confused. Both the strategies are based on different parameters and when you make your style flexible, you’ll end up going against your rules. You’ll take one trade for scalping but when you’ll realise that it is not in your favour you’ll try to keep it longer for swing trading.

#11     Jan 21, 2022
  2. bone

bone

Having started in the Treasury Bond Pit as a scalper in the late 1990's - scalping literally means to buy at the bid and sell at the offer. It was the only reason to lease a seat for $3500 per month and stand in a pit yelling and screaming and acting like an animal.

So, the OG term "scalper" has no real similarity to swing trading.

YMMV. I wish everyone good fortune !

#12     Jan 21, 2022
    rb7 and murray t turtle like this.
  3. %%
    SURE;
    useful in the sense smaller times frames could improve your smaller profit entry+exit price.

#13     Jan 21, 2022
    Leob likes this.
  4. Bouffant

Bouffant

I have always seen swing traders become scalpers. But it’s for the first time that I am hearing about scalpers turning into swing traders. Whatever it is, I don’t think it’s a major issue to switch your trading strategies.

#14     Jan 25, 2022
  5. bone

bone

I’ve personally found that scalpers lack the patience to authentically swing trade. Or alternatively, that scalpers attempting to swing trade have a hard time letting winners run.

A genuine scalper will require a different trading system to get the most out of swing trading.

That’s been my experience - YMMV and I wish everyone good fortune!

#15     Jan 25, 2022
    qlai likes this.
  6. Sekiyo

Sekiyo

Depends.
    There is a thousand way to do both.
    Maybe it's better to come from scalping than baking?

IDK ...

What sure is that a successful scalper doesn't make a successful swing trader.
    Or does it?

IDK ...

Competitive advantages aren't the same. Anyway.
    My answer would be:

NO ...

#16     Jan 30, 2022