As Predicted: Lib Media Cares More About Macaca Than Andrew Young's Anti-Jew Comments

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Pabst, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Pabst

Pabst

Cal Thomas could have mentioned Young's "resignation" (he was FIRED) as U.S. Ambassador to the U.N. for secretly meeting with Arafat. Clearly Young allowed his innate anti-semitism to inflict his work as U.N. Ambassador under Carter. Can one IMAGINE if this had been Jean Kirkpatrick......

Who's the racist?

By Cal Thomas

| Sen. George Allen, (R-Va.) was caught on tape referring to a campaign worker for his Democratic opponent, James Webb, as a "macaca." The campaign worker, S.R. Sidarth, is East Indian and it was quickly noted that the word "macaca" is considered a racial slur in some European countries. Macaques are monkeys and, thus, the derivative "macaca" is considered racially insensitive.

Allen said he didn't mean to be offensive and was just joshing with the young man, but The Washington Post twice treated the incident as front-page news and one of their columnists, Eugene Robinson, unburdened himself in 770 words hinting, if not at Allen's supposed racial insensitivity, then his stupidity.

The Daily Show produced a skit from the remark and the liberal Internet blogs have been making jokes at Allen's expense. It will be interesting to watch the reaction of all of these to far more serious and undeniably racist remarks by an icon of the civil rights establishment, Andrew Young.

In an interview with the Los Angeles Sentinel, described on its Web page as, "an African-American owned newspaper that puts emphasis on what concerns the African-American community and its readers," Young was asked if he has concerns about Wal-Mart closing down mom-and-pop stores. Young, who headed an outside support group called Working Families for Wal-Mart to help the discount chain improve its public image, responded, "Well, I think they should; they ran the mom-and-pop stores out of my neighborhood. But you see, these are the people (small stores) who have been overcharging us, selling us stale bread and bad meat and wilted vegetables. And they sold out and moved to Florida. I think they've ripped off our communities enough. First it was Jews, then it was Koreans and now its Arabs; very few black people own these stores."

Young, who hit the trifecta of racial insensitivity — offending three groups at once — announced Aug. 18 that he is resigning from his position because "I think I was on the verge of becoming part of the controversy and I didn't want to become a distraction from the main issues." Young claimed the report in the newspaper was "misread and misinterpreted." Unlike "macaca," these words don't have to be looked up to find the definition. What's to misread and misinterpret?

Call it a Mel Gibson moment. Nobody ever means these things after they say them and are exposed. It was the booze talking, or the guy was not in his right mind, or he was just making a joke, or he had no idea what the words meant, or that anyone would take offense. And then we usually get the all-encompassing and morally meaningless, "I apologize to anyone who might have been offended."

Some years ago, ABC sportscaster Howard Cosell referred to a speedy running back that had just broken through the opponent's defensive line for a major gain. Excited by the performance of his athletic prowess, Cosell said, "Look at the monkey run." The player was African American and some people tried to turn it into a bigoted statement, though an HBO special showed Cosell using the same phrase to refer to a white athlete.

FREE SUBSCRIPTION TO INFLUENTIAL NEWSLETTER

Every weekday JewishWorldReview.com publishes what many in in the media and Washington consider "must-reading". HUNDREDS of columnists and cartoonists regularly appear. Sign up for the daily JWR update. It's free. Just click here.

Speaking of Young's remarks, Rabbi Marvin Hier, dean and founder of the Simon Wiesenthal Center in Los Angeles, said, "If anyone should know that these are words of bigotry, anti-Semitism and prejudice, it's him. I know he apologized, but I would say this … during his years as a leader of the national civil rights movement, if anyone would utter remarks like this about African Americans his voice would be the first to rise in indignation."

If the mockers, bloggers and columnists who jumped on George Allen don't jump with at least equal fervor on Andrew Young, their political bias is showing. Maybe Allen (and Gibson) can send Young a sympathy card and wait to see if equal opportunity ridicule for Young shows up on Comedy Central.

2. traderob

traderob

PC crap all of it.

3. bsmeter

bsmeter

The boy says it like it is. He mentions Jews, Koreans and Arabs. It's interesting I don't read about Koreans and Arabs getting their panties in a wad, unlike the "woe is me, please give me billions and your symphathy" Jews.

Woeeeee izzzz meeeeeee!!! Haaawwwwppp meeeeeee!! I'm haaawwwwwwwpppleeesssss!!!!

Hey, did you guys apply for your passports to the homeland yet? ROTFLMAO!!!! :D

4. cannot see how the second remark can be racist/offensive, especially since it represent the truth.

5. well in the POODLE world it is perfectly acceptable to be a bigot against blacks, asians and ay rabs.

6. Is Andrew Young running for a public office? If yes, then I'd say publicize it and let him suffer the consequences. If not, then what's the point? Private citizens make offensive comments all the time. They're not worth the media's attention.

There are racial slurs on this board all the time. Why don't we throw a tantrum every time we see one?

7. Good point. However, it is one of the character traits of klansmen to point their finger at others whenever they get caught with their dirty little hands in the cookie jar. :D

8. neophyte321

neophyte321 Guest

Young would have done himself a favor had he included something like "And us Blacks who continued to eat the stale bread and bad meat they sold us, Too unresourceful to open our own stores." In his quote.

9. neophyte321

neophyte321 Guest

good one, very insightful. "A Vast Right-Wing conspiracy", is what? Proof Hillary is a klansman?

what the hell is so racist about calling some Indian guy a monkey, anyhow?

I suppose only those of the same race can call each other monkeys, like the "n-word".

simple attempt at character assasination, everyone sees through it. It's really rather pathetic.

10. Pabst

Pabst

If you don't think a former United Nations Ambassador who was also FIRED for secretly meeting with Arafat isn't newsworthy for these comments then you have some sort of partisan axe to grind. Is Mel Gibson running for public office?

Why were Young's comments "under-reported"? Because he's BLACK! The same way Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Michael Jackson and Louis Farrakhan can say whatever they like without media reprisal. Woe to the white man who utters a statement along the same lines.

#10     Aug 25, 2006