As Asia becomes Capitalistic, will america Prosper?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by ElectricSavant, Nov 18, 2006.

1. They seem to guard their relationship with China very well and they did not want the "most favored trading status" to be awarded to China years ago...

#11     Nov 19, 2006
  2. Grant

Grant

ES,

I lack the patience to read (all) the right-wing loony, political theory cloaked by a veneer of intellectual/academic legitimacy (pause for breath).

This is basically a justification for current US foreign/economic policy (which I’m not criticising) but there are weaknesses: “acceptance of America's traditional values of…economic freedom”, eg state subsidies, import tariffs, trade barriers/embargoes/sanctions (no different form any other first-world economy)?

The conundrum for major economies re third-world wages is reconciling a (desired) downward pressure on domestic wages with a concomitant undermining of local consumer demand in a consumer driven, consumer-based economy.

One solution is a weaker domestic currency to stimulate exports of goods to these rising economies (don’t all peasants aspire to a Chevvy?) but this would increase the trade deficit and its funding, and undermine the bond markets. Further, wouldn’t the domestic local workforce also like to consume luxury goods? Indeed, he would also like to afford the necessities. With his lower wages he can always put in the over-time.

I’m all for lowering wages as long as its accompanied by a reduction in the price of goods, especially housing.

Capitalism is OK as long as you don’t have competitors. And how do you deal with those who do not want democracy?

I’d be interested to know more re niceneasy’s remark about printing more money (ie the affects). And what is the reference to Germany?

Grant.

#12     Nov 19, 2006
  3. zdreg

zdreg

how do you know this, electric savant?
    now that you have revealed this little gem that germany was against "most favored trading status" won't china be pissed with germany?

#13     Nov 19, 2006
  4. Oh, that's a cultural thing....

"Die Gelbe Gefahr", that sort of thing. A largely uniquely German xenophobe viewpoint. http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gelbe_Gefahr

I thought you were referring to the bundesbank's reluctance to sell its yellow metal assets recently.... which I thought was more interesting.

#14     Nov 19, 2006