Article shows that Wal-Mart makes neighborhoods poorer where it opens

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Pagan Sunday, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Wal-Mart is the answer to fullfilling the need for benefits from the US Government. We are not socialized yet...so the first thing the "dependent-type personality" needs is to get a 17 hour per week job at Wal-Mart so he can get food stamps...government health assistance....welfare for kids....etc indefinitely...

we are not socilized yet...where you would not even need the Wal-Mart to get minimum existence...it won't be long now folks...just wait...the days are coming where you won't need to work....welcome to America

ES

P.S. There may be something to this thread...the Wal-Mart down the street has a bunch of Condo's and Apartments being built around it...Guess what percent of section 8 gets those flats...??? And isn't it a coincidence that the Metro-rail station has been located there...Obama...this gives you more ammunition for your mass-transit vision for America...I want no part of it!!!...next stop all aboard...Wal-Mart!!!

#51     Feb 19, 2011
  2. Real-Estate ad...

....near Wal-Mart

ES

#52     Feb 19, 2011
  3. Walmart is the cause of poverty and not the effect?
    Actually walmart is looking for neighborhoods going down the drain to open new stores because people are looking for bargains.

These neighborhoods would go bananas with or without walmart anyway.

#53     Feb 19, 2011
  4. BSAM

BSAM

Amazing what Walmart gets blamed for these days. I had a blowout a while back. Now I know whose fault it was (even though the tire wasn't bought at Walmart).

I didn't win the lottery last time I played. Now I know who to blame.

#54     Feb 19, 2011
  5. sumfuka

sumfuka

The neighborhood is going to be poorer regardless if wal-mart decides to open shop or not in the area. The credit bubble is what caused people to be poor not wal-mart. It's just a store that sells items cheaper than their competitors; that's it. Ben Bernanke is not going to look at their annual earnings, and propose doing QE3 based on that data. :p

#55     Feb 19, 2011
  6. It makes me sad to see the obese, down and out type of people who shop at Walmart. They line up at 11.59pm the night before their welfare cards activate, and then have a shopping spree.

They mostly buy stuff they do not need such as addictive, toxic processed foods that have given them severe health problems such as type 2 diabetes and the already mentioned visible symptom of obesity. They buy loud, vulgar, obnoxious plastic toys for their children in the most hideous colors. They buy printed T shirts with messages that are senseless, and dumb looking sneakers.

Most of them cant get a good job anymore because the jobs they should be doing are on the other side of the world. Their kids have been destroyed by the addictive brain destroyer called MTV et al.

Walmart pays such low wages that many employees are also on the dole and have to use emergency rooms for healthcare.

Folks, at one time in this nation there was a pride in community, in culture, in values. What have the whores in charge done to our Nation?

#56     Feb 19, 2011
  7. Visaria

Visaria

I like Walmart. The first time i went in one was somewhat of a shock because they had guns for sale. You don't see supermarkets in the UK selling guns.

#57     Feb 20, 2011
  8. LEAPup

LEAPup

Agreed!!! I don't go in wally world, but my Wife on occasion does. She bought some bags of frozen talapia there, and what I read on the bags caused me to pitch them, and drive to our LOCAL fish market. The filets from walmart were "raised in china." No thanks! I paid more $ for the filets I purchased, but they were fresh, not raised in a foreign land, i.e., local, and kept "the wealth" in our community vs. china's "community."

I'm also all for free markets, and capitalism. I'm a Ron Paul supporter, and no nonsense type. Walmart was formed by an entreprenur, and "back then" was more of a "something different" type of store providing a variety of items besides groceries. Fast forward to today's Walmart, in what I have witnessed closes mom and pop shops who either get cash strapped over the customer loss getting out, or they get out as they know they'll soon be net negative going forward.

The mom and pop shops now closed takes $$$ directly out of the local community, and puts it in the hands of "chinamart" as you put it. Our Founding Fathers would be doing backplips going ape shit over what THEIR Country has succumbed to if they were alive today!

Last I'll note, with the small mom and pop stores all over the community, you may run into your neighbor; someone from the gym; someone you know. You might say hello, and maybe even talk for a minute or two, then finish the shopping. At wallyworld, you're lucky if you lived the walk to your car due to the "outa my way" types driving. Then you go in there and it's an angry, room temperature IQ, screw you type of environment where the products sold send money a world away vs. down the street and throughout the US... No, you won't see me in "chinamart" (I like that one!), anytime soon.

#58     Feb 20, 2011
  9. Visaria

Visaria

I thought America stood for liberty? Have i been cruelly mislead?

I'm going to move to Egypt. More freedom there.

#59     Feb 20, 2011
  10. On the news today, it was reported that Walmart was going to reduce prices even further by this summer.:D

#60     Feb 20, 2011