Article shows that Wal-Mart makes neighborhoods poorer where it opens

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Pagan Sunday, Feb 18, 2011.

1. I don't like Walmart.

#41     Feb 19, 2011
  2. Tell me about it. Walmart is just plain scary. I've been in one and it is like walking around in a third world country. And the fat people, omg they are disgusting. And the scary looking people that look like they belong in a gang. Might be ready to put a knife in you. Over half the people can't talk English.

When you first get to one, you have to spend 8 minutes looking for a parking spot that is usually 500 feet from the front door. Then you walk in, and some weird old dude or lady is "greeting" you at the door. What's up with that? And then when you leave, half the time they have to check your receipt to make sure you aren't ripping them off. Of course the lines are 200 feet long in the checking aisle. And when you leave you have to search for your car. Then it takes 35 min to try and drive out of the parking lot. And a security guy in a little tiny toy truck is driving around the parking lot like a lunatic.

#42     Feb 19, 2011
  3. What some small bussiness owners fail to realized is that if one wishes to stay in bussiness near a big box store any and all bussiness strategies must be implemented inorder to capture consumer dollars. The other strategy is to operate in a bussiness sector that the corperation will not because they value their untarnished image more than financial profitability. Wal-mart, Target and others do nothing more than force change, it is simple as that. Welcome to the cold hard impersonal reality of bussiness

Akuma

#43     Feb 19, 2011
  4. Fortune Teller: Tell me about it. Walmart is just plain scary. I've been in one and it is like walking around in a third world country. And the fat people, omg they are disgusting. And the scary looking people that look like they belong in a gang. Might be ready to put a knife in you. Over half the people can't talk English.

When you first get to one, you have to spend 8 minutes looking for a parking spot that is usually 500 feet from the front door. Then you walk in, and some weird old dude or lady is "greeting" you at the door. What's up with that? And then when you leave, half the time they have to check your receipt to make sure you aren't ripping them off. Of course the lines are 200 feet long in the checking aisle. And when you leave you have to search for your car. Then it takes 35 min to try and drive out of the parking lot. And a security guy in a little tiny toy truck is driving around the parking lot like a lunatic.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

Gosh business is great there. I think they need several more Walmarts in your neighborhood.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:p

#44     Feb 19, 2011
  5. chott312

chott312

Walmart has been the single most powerful force against inflation for 20+ years. Now factor that in. Millions of people have saved billions of dollars. It's a free market, now leave it alone.

#45     Feb 19, 2011
  6. That and also to know what business you are in. You can't be a mini Wall Mart or Mini Home depot. You have to find an edge. (sigh).

I'm still trying to work out why Borders failed but one thought leads me to think they were trying to compete with a library. Oh. let's put in a coffee shop, sell gifts, play music. Then they had different Borders members whatever discounts. Screw that, I'm not into customer games. and prices.

The first mom and pop book seller who saw the threat of big box book stores and is still in business, started selling books on line from day one.

#46     Feb 19, 2011
  7. clacy

clacy

The Waltons did start a bank called "Arvest Bank". They are all over Arkansas and starting to move into surrounding states. They more or less are just like any other bank though, so don't expect anything revolutionary.

#47     Feb 19, 2011
  8. I couldn't have said it better..

And whats up with the surgical gloves at the cash register? The Wal-Mart near me has installed monitors for you to watch while standing in line...they show clips of merchandising that resemble a production by the federal government for the elementary school level...but now none of the umpteen monitors work and no one to fix them...lol

And then if you go in late at night watch out for the pallets sitting in the isles waiting to be unloaded and do not try to squeeze down the isles between them...

I do not like Wal-Mart, but I would buy stock in them, because they serve what our country has become.

ES

#48     Feb 19, 2011
  9. If they were to take over a bank in Colorado...My guess it would be Academy Bank...

#49     Feb 19, 2011
  10. Larson

Larson Guest

Ironic isn't it? The demise of US preeminence in capitalism began at the same time as the rise of Wal-Mart. I often wonder what Mr. Sam would say today about his creation today.

#50     Feb 19, 2011