Article shows that Wal-Mart makes neighborhoods poorer where it opens

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Pagan Sunday, Feb 18, 2011.

1. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

I don't know of any Mom & Pop retailers that paid health insurance or other benefits for full time or part time employees even before Wal-Mart came to town. Most Mom & Pop stores only paid hourly wages slightly above those offered at Wal-Mart.

Generally retail is a low paid service segment with no benefits. Maybe it is time to simply accept this and stop blaming "Wal-Mart".

#21     Feb 18, 2011
  2. I don't know of any Mom & Pop retailers that paid health insurance or other benefits for full time or part time employees even before Wal-Mart came to town.
    --------------

I worked for a few mom and pops, say less than 15 employees. I think the tax benefits were slowly eased out for the owner. Then I think the tx breaks became minumal for even the owner, if I recall correctly.

#22     Feb 18, 2011

3. Also they are never open when you need something. Its like all of the sudden they decide to close tuesday. Then of course you go its closed.

or they only open till 4:00 PM

etc..

People got tired of high prices, limited and unreliable service hours and of course the whole shopkeeper attitude of (we are doing you a favor)

Thats Why those walmarts decimated small business in these small towns.

#23     Feb 18, 2011
  4. saying 1 store didn't get subsidized and passing it off as typical is fairly poor. It is well documented that subsidy wars were standard operating procedure in the 90's any way

#24     Feb 18, 2011
  5. but the owners of those 40 or so mom and pops had health care for their families and could make a living off the store. now they are substituted by 1 store that can only provide a living for 1 or 2 managers. not to mention the money that stays in the local economy which i mentioned in other post.

maybe it is time to simply except your half assed arm chair analyst leaves out many variables and is incomplete

#25     Feb 18, 2011
  6. Larson

Larson Guest

Perfect plan. Drive out all rivals through predatory means and otherwise to obtain market power. Reduce small business activity
    hence less money circulating in the local communities. Dictate to suppliers and begin buying a large percentage of mfg. goods from China. Remember their "buy american" bullshit progam a decade or so ago? On the other hand, Wal-Mart has probably peaked and vulnerable to smaller upstart competitors.

#26     Feb 18, 2011
  7. ChinaMart sucks. Period. They sell low end junk, rip off their employees and take up too much space. People who like them must have to shop there to save $2.

#27     Feb 18, 2011
  8. What a load of crap. Nothing stops those people from trying to get a better job. and as far as healthcare, it shouldn't be the employer's job to provide it in the first place, AND the employees in question wouldn't have the healthcare coverage if WM was not there to give them the job anyway, so its not bringing anything down. That logic is akin to "cuts" to social programs when their budgets are not increased as much as someone wants.

----------------------------------------------------------

Spot on.

How about Wal-mart employess many unskilled labor. How about wal-mart provide jobs in the area. How about Tax's they generate.

I'm about competition. Wal-mart is not putting mom and pops outa business....GOV IS via taxation burden. THE US GOV is the one who destroy's private sector jobs with the red tape, taxation period.

You Can't blame Wal-mart.

chinaMart sucks. Period. They sell low end junk: Yes they do, so go shop at Sax 5th ave, or Nordstroms, or Target. Nobody forces you to shop a Wal-mart. GO SHOP ELSEWHERE.

#28     Feb 18, 2011
  9. da-net

da-net

IF Wal Mart is ever allowed to open a retail customer bank, that will be a great day for consumers as I believe that Wal Mart will hopefully put some of our "too big to fail banks" out of business by taking the lion's share of their customers and their PROFITS!

#29     Feb 18, 2011
  10. Good point. What ever happened to that project?

#30     Feb 18, 2011