Article shows that Wal-Mart makes neighborhoods poorer where it opens

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Pagan Sunday, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Man that's a good idea

No really freakin brilliant :)

#11     Feb 18, 2011
  2. You are such a smart ass ruskie (your alias sounds ruskie)

There is a difference between theory of how something should work and REALITY.

learn the difference

#12     Feb 18, 2011
  3. Well, since I HAVE run businesses, I think I would know about the "reality".

#13     Feb 18, 2011
  4. clacy

clacy

Well said. Same can be said for the politicians that we elect. Regardless of what side of the isle, most people complain about the lack of courage, rampant corruption and pandering that is done by politicians. Congress always has an approval south of 30%, and yet they are re-elected 90% of the time.

We get what we deserve.

#14     Feb 18, 2011
  5. Bob111

Bob111

Pagan Sunday :D :D :D
    have some respect to the members,who have been around longer than you are and most likely did achieve more than you can dream of...
    it's Jerry Medved..Quotetracker creator

http://www.quotetracker.com/

btw- i've seen this article(or very similar one) couple years ago..

#15     Feb 18, 2011
  6. Samsara

Samsara

The OP is the long time Croat-Canadian troll "cold", "Jasonn" etc.

Hit the appropriate button on the bottom right of this post and encourage the mods to see his new alias to the door.

#16     Feb 18, 2011
  7. not really a surprise. all the way back to the British empire, countries have been ruined by letting cheap imports destroy domestic production.As if letting someone else earn the productive value is better then earning it yourself.It's not just wall mart, but they receive the most subsidies from localities. A study was down by MIT that show for 1 dollar that stays in a local market it generates an additional 7 dollars in purchases. Of course today that 1 dollar leaves the country and has to be replaced by more debt money

#17     Feb 18, 2011
  8. antitrust,

Walmart actually doesn't receive "most subsidies from localities". For example, they are trying to open in DC right now where they have light opposition (nothing like Chicago/New York), and one of the reasons the opposition doesn't have much power is that WM is not asking for any tax breaks or anything else from the local communities.

Cheap imports - true, but that is by no means a WM specific issue. This should be dealt with at the federal level; something neither party has been willing to address in any meaningful manor.

#18     Feb 18, 2011
  9. BSAM

BSAM

Walmart is the best thing to ever happen for the USA consumers.

#19     Feb 18, 2011
  10. If you happen to live on the eastern shore and outer banks of North Carolina then perhaps you've seen small stores in these communities that sell items but have no prices listed for them.

You have to ask about the prices from the sales person.
    The standard reply about the problem goes like this, "We can't keep these items
    in stock long enough to put prices on them!!".

This has happened to me several times in hardware stores and once in a
    Rack Room Shoes store in Nags Head.

When this happens to me then I'm out of there.

I've never ever seen this happen in a Walmart.

#20     Feb 18, 2011