Article/Paper - "Filtering in Finance"

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by Equalizer, May 16, 2005.

1. Incredibly stupid to treat the market as a just stream of numbers to be analyzed for "signal".

#11     May 16, 2005
  2. FredBloggs

FredBloggs Guest

how many quants does it take to SCREW in a light bulb?

dunno, but they sure do SCREW my head in!!

(sorry, best i could do)

#12     May 16, 2005

3. /self holds nose

#13     May 16, 2005
  4. Sorry, I just find the need to poke fun... Maybe, your totally ignorant to practical application. I dunno. LOL.

..Or maybe just totally ignorant. :p :p :p

Ps... Hypo, being so deserved, is my only flame target. :p

#14     May 16, 2005
  5. just dont understand how the markets got along for hundreds of years with out this stuff.

fortunately, when the models go schizo, they give us spikes to trade.

#15     May 16, 2005
  6. Mex. Well, I knew Kalman filtering well enough at one time to supervise the design of fire control and guidance systems using it. But this stock stuff, I dunno! I do get terribly hung up when people ignore the basic assumptions when they apply it, like the measurment and signal noise. I haven't read the paper yet, but the very fact that it exists tells me that the author cheated. Mike.

P.S.: Who is Hypo?

#16     May 16, 2005
  7. Probably the total number of similar papers/ articlcs that have been published so far by professors in maths/ physics/ finance/ etc. would exceed the total number of tradable isssues available on financial markets today. :confused: :D

#17     May 16, 2005
  8. To put a definitive end to this thread, let me say this. I just read the paper, and on page one he blows it. He describes both the "signal" and the measurement as noisy. The price is the price is the price. Nothing is "hidden". Just the kind of bullshit one might expect from an overintellectualized frog.

#18     May 18, 2005
  9. Now now John, there's no need for racism, unless of course you are "The Human Piranha" :D

#19     May 19, 2005
  10. Mais non! Je t'aime les francais! Surtout les femmes, et les champagnes, especialement les deux ensemble! Mais les hommes sont pines. Et cet auteur ci ne comprend pas les marches. Il encule des mouches.

#20     May 19, 2005