Art prices will drop by 40 percent this year as speculators leave market

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by ByLoSellHi, Jan 21, 2009.

1. art the new real estate.

99% of modern art is crap masquerading

#11     Jan 21, 2009
  2. When you hear stories about artists making sculpture out of dung and buyers clamoring for it, that will be the "final top". :cool:

#12     Jan 21, 2009
  3. da-net

da-net

You are painting the art world with a very broad brush with your statement above. If you are trying to suggest that if a work of art like Rembrandt's Night Watch was to be autioned off by the Rijksmuseum Amsterdam that it would not bring seriuos bidding, I think you are very wrong. I think there would be bidding wars to acquire it at prices above presale estimates.

However, I would agree that artists who “mass produced" will struggle as the article stated if that is what you are saying.

#13     Jan 21, 2009
  4. zdreg

zdreg

#14     Jan 22, 2009
  5. AK100

AK100

It's quiet possible for a Rembrandt or another piece by a Master to sell at a discount of 33% or even 50% down.

All depends how much the previous owner paid for it.

Anyone remember the last boom and bust in the art worlk when Alan Bond bought Sunflowers for a crazy price and then had to quickly dump it.

Or it could have been a Japanese Insurance company. Whoever it was the price crashed.

#15     Jan 22, 2009
  6. There are some very nice pieces quietly changing hands at a discount.

Of course the masterpieces won't leave the hermetic vaults unless something catastrophic is looming, and there's always that chance.

This is a discrete buyers market for certain items if you know where and when to look.

The appraisers venues are mute but desperation and necessity flush treasures to the surface more than once in a lifetime.

#16     Jan 22, 2009
  7. #17     Jan 22, 2009
  8. jem

jem

man - I was feeling nicely aloof - then I read your post and all of sudden pangs of materialism almost took control.
    Why don't i have enough to discreetly buy old masters.

But, they I regain my composure.

#18     Jan 23, 2009
  9. The prices should drop 100%.

It's just paper and paint.

#19     Jan 23, 2009
  10. aradiel

aradiel

yea, like Heidi Klum, just meat and bones :)

#20     Jan 24, 2009