Arnold on the rise!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Maverick74, May 22, 2004.

1. Most of the 7,600 students who were told by the University of California to go away for two years because of Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's budget cuts have delivered a message to the university: "hasta la vista, baby.''

According to preliminary figures released Wednesday by UC, 1,357 students accepted and 6,243 rejected the university's offer to enroll them after they complete two years of course study at a community college.

"Students understand that this makes no sense. Students know that their community colleges are already bursting at the seams," Leno said. "And for those who expected to go to a four-year college based on their scholastic achievements, they have quite possibly left the state -- in which case, we may have lost them forever."

San Francisco Chronicle, June 3rd, 2004

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2004/06/03/UC.TMP

#21     Jun 3, 2004
  2. Funny the article you quote from mentions "Leno". This would be none other than Assemblyman Mark Leno, super liberal democrat from San Francisco who never met a tax he didn't love and promote (or introduce). He even proposed putting the triple (!!!)vehicle registration tax back on his own San Francisco constituents after newly appointed Gov. Schwarzenegger wisely repealed it! His spending proposals pretty much follow along with his taxing.

Liberal California lawmakers like him are responsible for the budget constraints California now finds itself in, having to make difficult choices because of the years of excess. The people of California have chosen Schwarzenegger to dole out the tough medicine California needs in the long run to get back on track. Of course these same liberals can now attack Schwarzenegger as "insensitive", when they only have to look at themselves as the real cause of any short term pain. Daddy took the checkbook away.

My heart pumps piss for the tax and spend liberals like
    Assemblyman Mark Leno and the few but vocal liberal constituents that think the checkbook is bottomless.

#22     Jun 3, 2004
  3. Cutten

Cutten

To secure them as allies instead of potential enemies again in the future, thus improving security for the western powers.

A resurgent Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan would have posed a catastrophic threat to world security. A democratic self-governing Iraq, or even a military dictatorship or civil war in Iraq, will do no such thing.

#23     Jun 3, 2004
  4. Maverick74

Maverick74

A resurgent Nazi Germany? LOL. OK, so I take it you know very little about German history, I'll forgive you.

#24     Jun 3, 2004
  5. I couldn't care less what Assemblyman Mark Leno says.

The point is, is that 6,243 highly motivated and goal-oriented students that would have normally been admitted into the UC system have decided to go elsewhere, and most likely out of State.

This is a severe miscalculation by Schwarzenegger and his staff. The students obviously had the academics and the funding to go to 4-year Universities outside of the State and that is what they are now choosing, versus the absurd alternative of heading to a JC for two years.

And you wonder why Japan is kicking our ass when it comes to the graduation rates of engineering students and advancing their technological "base" ( 60% vs 6% ).

#25     Jun 3, 2004
  6. Maverick74

Maverick74

It will be the best thing that ever happened to those kids, getting them out of CA. You are right Waggie, they won't ever come back! LOL.

#26     Jun 3, 2004
  7. Exactly...who the hell cares if crowded California loses a few people. If the kids got in somewhere, and I don't really care where, that is great news! Where is the problem exactly?

Waggie quote: This is a severe miscalculation by Schwarzenegger and his staff.

I see Gov. Schwarzenegger as extremely calculating and compassionate under the circumstances. Every bleeding heart has their pet programs that are "so important"...do you propose we just pull the money out of our ass? Or just pretend budget shortfalls don't exist and hide them as long as possible like Gov. Davis did?

#27     Jun 3, 2004
  8. But you obviously don't have school aged children in this State, do you?

Do you have any idea as to how much "out-of-state" and non-resident tuition goes for these days???

And you ask, "What is the problem exactly?"
    You've got to be kidding.
    Duh.

#28     Jun 3, 2004
  9. Turok

Turok

Wags, what's so obvious about it? I've got a college aged young'n here in the Bay Area and I'm asking the same question...what's the problem exactly?

Cuts must be made and the pain must be shared.

JB

#29     Jun 3, 2004
  10. Turok,

You have no problem spending $35,000 per year on your child's college education due to "out-of-state" tuition, as opposed to the $12,000-$18,000 per year right here at a UC system school?

I am amazed at how you guys fail to see the obvious.
    But then again, this is ET!

:D

#30     Jun 3, 2004