Arnold on the rise!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Maverick74, May 22, 2004.

1. Your right.....it is irrelevant.

#11     May 27, 2004
  2. Well at least I knew that going in and warned you...jeez...

#12     May 27, 2004
  3. Once again some of the morons on ET prove just how ignorant they are of the facts and the issues. One has to really wonder if they ever stop talking out of their ass, or if that is just "normal" procedure for them?

The $410 million dollars in cuts to the UC budget had to do with freshman enrollments being reduced by 10%, spending on faculty would be cut 5%, aimed at increasing student-faculty ratio. Fees would increase 30% for undergraduates. Graduate fees are expected to increase 40%. Professional schools will see enrollment cut by an average of 25%. As a result, medicine, law, and business administration would see fee increases of roughly $5,000 - - - without any provision for financial aid. Financial aid would be cut from 33% of new student fee revenue to 20%. Deeper cuts proposed for research, K-12 outreach, administration and libraries, and many other programs. No cost of living increases for faculty and staff. As a result, UC faculty salaries are expected to fall at least 9% behind those of comparable institutions in 2003-2004. UC Merced would not open until the fall of 2005, at a modified level.

In otherwords, the cuts had nothing to do with "academic" scholarships as some here might lead you to believe. Meanwhile, our country can spend another $75 billion dollars on Iraq. Gotta make sure they have a nice Embassy and Post Offices over there, right? But educate our own students right here in our very own country? Naaaaaaaaa. That would make too much sense!

KEY FACTS

More than 290 companies have been founded on UC-developed technologies.

If the current pace is maintained, more than 34,000 UC undergraduates over the next 10 years will enter science and engineering industries driving California’s economy.

Between 370,000 and 433,000 jobs in California are directly dependent on UC expenditures – more than 2% of all employment in the state.

UC has the largest health sciences education and training program in the nation, with 13,000 students. UC is the second-largest Medi-Cal provider in California.

UC research and Cooperative Extension are critical to California’s nation-leading, $27 billion agricultural industry.

#13     May 27, 2004
  4. Now let's see how long it takes for our good old buddy Moron to show up here and reply . . .

#14     May 27, 2004
  5. Maverick74

Maverick74

Hey Waggie, what is your deal man? Are you a freaking commie or something? Did we not rebuild Germany and Japan after WWII or is that different? We bombed the f*ck out of Iraq, now we have to clean up the mess. Whether you agree with the war or not is irrelevant. You can't just bomb somebody into oblivion and then leave. Give me a break. Dude, go over and hang with your Bay Area hippie friends over a latte at Starbucks. Get with the real world man. Dude, you seriously need to get out of CA, it has warped your brain. Come live in the midwest so you can come back to reality. Jeez.

#15     May 27, 2004
  6. There he is.
    Right on time!

:D

#16     May 27, 2004
  7. Maverick74

Maverick74

Waggie answer me this and we'll call it a night. Why was it right to rebuild Japan and Germany which in today's dollars dwarfs what we are spending on Iraq. If you can give me a good answer, I'll let it be. Fair enough?

#17     May 27, 2004
  8. Wow Mav.

I think you are losing your touch!
    It took you an entire 4 minutes to reply in your "stalking" manner. What's wrong. Did your internet connection go down or something?

So much for actually knowing something about the budget cuts at the UC System before making a comment. But that's the way you always do things right? You always make ignorant statements that have nothing to do with anything besides your typical "liberals in California vs conservatives in the Midwest" BS.

Dude, you are way too predictable.
    You really are.

Thank God you won't be Pabst's campaign manager!

:D

#18     May 27, 2004
  9. Maverick74

Maverick74

You are avoiding my question. What are you afraid of? Why won't you answer such a simple question?

#19     May 27, 2004
  10. My wife works at UCLA and there has not been raises for anyone in her dept for the last 4 years. Nothing new there. Most people that work there are underpaid, both staff and faculty, and have been for years. Schwarzenegger did promise raises for sure next year.

It does make sense to reign in spending by not opening UC Merced, or by opening it more slowly. Money has to be saved anywhere it can be saved. Gray Davis screwed up the state "checkbook" so royally and deeply the consequences have come home to roost for many years. The pain has to be spread over the citizenry. Tough shit if a few thousand kids have to go to JC for a year or two. They could always go to University of Montana or where ever else they can weasel in.

Your comment on the money spent in Iraq is a political statement and has nothing to do with the budget of the State of California. Arnold is making it known in D.C. that California will demand it's fair share. Nothing else can be done.

#20     May 28, 2004