"Army Times" Poll on Presidential Race

Discussion in 'Politics' started by gnome, Oct 20, 2008.

1. An average black has NOTHING to benefit from republicans. In fact when I see a black republican I see a misguided individual.

The republican party in the 20th century did its best to keep the black man down. With men of such character as Goldwater who opposed civil rights acts on "constitutional" grounds, Trent Lott who said if Strom Thurmond was president life would be good, Ronald Reagan and others who supported "states rights" and opposed "legislating from the bench".

For example, the whole point of Rehnquist judiciary regime was to dismantle as much of the "hated" Earl Warren court decisions as possible. A total "rollback" if you must.

For those of you in love with strict constructionism and in opposition to "legislating from the bench" keep in mind that the priceless miranda right we have came from the Earl Warren court. Without it, and other decisions handed out during that period police could hit you with a club and have its way with you.

#21     Oct 20, 2008
  2. Obama started getting traction with Blacks ONLY AFTER the Iowa caucuses, 70 % of Blacks were for Clinton.

Obama's candidacy was made possible by Iowa Whites. who proved to be more reasonable, smarter and more tolerant people than your average "Joe the plumber" high school dropout roaming the forums of ET

#22     Oct 20, 2008
  3. How many of those same people think Bush is doing a good job? My bet is more than you think, even well educated and otherwise intelligent people can be biased as to make bad decisions. The perfect example is all the Palin supporters, we all know she is uninformed and unqualified and may be a tad slow but yet the delusional masses will harp the party lines they hear about her from Rush and Hannity. We will probably be screwed by a democratic president and congress but the danger we could be in with a Palin presidency is worth the risk.

#23     Oct 20, 2008
  4. People are rewriting history as we speak. Obama was not "black" enough in the beginning(People did not like a hawaii raised black who did not go through the grind of civil rights movement). Clinton had the support of blacks, especially the old guard. After several mishaps such as Hillary Clinton saying it took a president to bring MLK's ideas into law (showing contempt for MLK) and Bill Clinton comparing Obama to Jesse Jackson Clinton's black support cratered. And rightly so.

#24     Oct 20, 2008
  5. Over 90% of blacks voted for Obama in the 2008 democratic primary. That is a fact.

#25     Oct 20, 2008
  6. Well then your argument is that, in your mind, blacks are stupid to vote Democrat.

Which doesn't help your position at all, actually.

#26     Oct 20, 2008
  7. SO WHAT ? How fucking stupid are you ?
    Blacks represent less than 20 % of US population ,there is no way a "Black" candidate would end up major party candidate or president with ONLY the support of his/her core group
    He happens to be "Black" but he is not the Candidate of "Blacks" (Like Rev Jackson for ex).

#27     Oct 20, 2008
  8. Hey Brandanf:

You read it right. A real reference. Not more bullshit propaganda. You obviously couldn't find one. :D

#28     Oct 20, 2008
  9. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

That's because in Iowa we have the best public school system in the country. The average Iowa HS graduate's standardized test scores are substantially higher than the average American graduate. We are also a pretty tolerant group of folks, Iowa City having recently beaten out San Fransisco as the most Lesbian Friendly city in America (Forbes also generally ranks IC very high in terms of small cities for business). If the weather was not so crappy this would be the best place in the world to live and raise kids.

#29     Oct 20, 2008
  10. Trust me I see a consistent display of ignorance of basic facts from our "right of center" posters. Fact of the matter is not many people supported Obama in the beginning. Hillary got burned because of her "when I am president" her dancing around and never apologizing for her Iraq vote and her lack of planning beyond Feb 5th primaries. Idiot rush limbaugh listeners would have you believe that Blacks magically rallied around Obama from the very beginning which is a lie.

#30     Oct 20, 2008