Argh new Vostro 3700 Dell Laptop has a high pitched noise

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cdntrader, Jun 6, 2010.

1. #11     Jun 24, 2010
  2. If so, replacing with SSD will end the noise.

#12     Jun 24, 2010

3. http://forums.seagate.com/t5/Barrac...0ASG-Momentus-7200-4-clicking-noise/m-p/30598

http://digitalchumps.com/gamingnews...-qclicking-noiseq-on-seagate-hard-drives.html

looks like its a well known problem. Apparently Dell is the only one that isn't aware of it.

#13     Jun 25, 2010
  4. I tried the firmware fix but of course it wasn't installable for the Vostro 3700 model. This model is probably too new for it to be included yet.

I'll talk to dell support next week to see what they say. It's a known issue so they will be hard pressed not to send out a DIFFERENT drive this time.

Firmware 4SDM1 or 5SDM1 fixes clicking noise on Seagate 2.5" 7200RPM HDD's Model #'s:

160G - ST9160412AS DP/N J423T
    250G - ST9250410AS DP/N K556T
    320G - ST9320423AS DP/N F729T
    500G - ST9500420AS DP/N G629T

#14     Jun 25, 2010
  5. There was a known problem with a NVIDIA chip that when failed caused horizontal lines in my last Dell laptop, and they sent me out a brand new laptop with better features and a ATI video card or chip after 1.5 years of using the old one.

I have to say, I think Nvidia is starting to suck big time I heard ATI upgraded to the new Rambus fast video memory too.

I think if the laptop is brand new and they are not willing to switch to a better hard drive instead of using that Seagate drive, then you need to have them exchange it for a laptop with a Western Ditigal drive. I have a WDC drive in my laptop, and no noise whatsoever. Its a Dell Studio laptop, much better than the Vostro which is what I had before and around the same price. It looks like the Vostro come with the crappy stuff and the Studio with all the good stuff.

#15     Jun 25, 2010
  6. repchan

repchan

Hi every one! Hi Cdntrader!

it is very sad that we all have such problem with the one of the powerful laptop but it is very good that we can share information to each other to get needed result.

i have bought vostro 3700 month ago. in Republic of Georgia, Tbilisi.
    from local distributor company. i have informed them regarding this noise but have not bring the laptop to their service center. they said that this is normal for given model but offered me to bring laptop to service for double checking. think they will not change nor hard drive nor laptop. I am planing to call to dell's support and ask them for solution for this issue but before want to ask you:

you bought from distributor or directly from dell? and if from distributor have dell directly solved this issue to you?

your response will be highly apprenticed!

thanks!

#16     Aug 24, 2010

7. I bought a solid state hard drive(which is silent) but unfortunately the hard drive was NOT the cause of the noise. It maybe an issue on the motherboard somwhere who knows. I`m not wasting anymore time on it.

SO I called DELL again and I am now sending it to their depot for repair. I will update you on the result in 7-10 business days.

Oh and yes I bought it directly from DELL Canada.

#17     Aug 28, 2010
  8. yosuu

yosuu

Hi,

I'm also interested in this matter. This high pitch noise is really killing me. I am looking forward to your results.

#18     Aug 29, 2010
  9. yosuu

yosuu

Hi,

I searched through the net and I found this thread. If you create the bat file that souskei says, and execute it, the whine noise disappears instantly. This is a problem with the c4 power state of the processor...

#19     Aug 29, 2010
  10. yosuu

yosuu