Argh new Vostro 3700 Dell Laptop has a high pitched noise

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cdntrader, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Argh new Vostro 3700 Dell Laptop has a high pitched noise coming from left top near the HD.

Just sucks man. Is this normal or could it be a vibration in the assembly? Bad hard drive?

Anyone else with similar issues/solutions?

thx

Not looking forward to dealing with Dell Cus. Support.:mad:

2. You can buy Dell stuff at Costco and Best Buys now. Better place to go because you can just take it back if need be.

3. As much as I love Costco their prices for similar Dell models is so much higher its not worth it.

Sorry about your new purchase. HP is even worse they wanted me to pay $40 for a re-install disk so I took it back to Sam's and got my money back.

I would call and tell them you are going to return if they don't send out a tech. If you don't want Indian support pay the upgrade to North American. I did the same and they sent out a very good third party tech the next day and it was fixed, problem with MOBO.

4. High pitch noise, from my experience, is usually the hard drive. Only moving parts produce high pitch noise (vibrations of some sort). Electronics either works or burnt.

If I were you I would do file backups very often because there is no telling when the drive would go out.

5. The other moving part is the cooling fan. If failed and not fixed, it can cause overheading on the chip/motherboard.

6. well it was the hard drive. Dell sending out a new one.

7. yosuu

yosuu

Hi Cdntrader!

I also bought the Vostro 3700 and the high pitch noise was very annoying. Did you solve the problem changing the hard drive?

I have reduced a little this annoying noise by disabling the bluetooth and the freefallprotection program ( with ccleaner, I disabled it in the startup programs).

Any response will be awesome.

8. It is definitely the Seagate Momentus 7200.4 hard drive(I found reference to it being a noisy drive on the net). Because when you remove the hard drive and start up the machine it is silent.

They sent out three identical drives. None changed the noise. I asked for a different drive but that was beyond the capabilities of customer support.

Now after 3 weeks they want me to send to a repair depot or return it for a refund.

Frankly I may just replace the drive myself with a WD quiet drive or an SSD(http://www.laptop-enews.com/2009/07/02/kingston-ssdnow-v-series-notebook-upgrade-kit-review/).

I'll update you later on what happens next.

9. yosuu

yosuu

thanks for the information. I also tought it was something about the hard drive because when I was copying files from a dvd to the hd, the high pitch noise disappears.

There are people that thinks it is caused by the cpu C4 state... what do you think?

10. I sure hope not or else we're screwed.:D

hmm interesting when I transfer files from an external hard drive the noise goes away. It's gotta be the hard drive.

#10     Jun 24, 2010