Argh! Help w/ Multiple Monitors!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jasonbraswell, Jul 4, 2005.

1. I was in the process of putting a new video card in and arranging my monitors. I was trying to systematically go through each monitor under the properties console and unchecking the 'attached' option. As you might guess, I accidentally unattached all three monitors, and now I can't see anything.

Can anyone help me get a desktop back?

Thanks in advance.

2. chartie

chartie

A bit unclear of the situation …. You mean you unchecked “Extend my windows desktop onto this monitor” under Display Properties/Settings? Or you were working under the video card’s software (which one)?

3. If you're using a windows based PC, reboot the machine and then use Safe Mode when it restarts. You should get a plain desktop, and then you can reset your video settings.

Regards,

4. nkhoi

nkhoi

try taking the video card out and put it a diff slot it may bring up the monitor with default video setting just enough for you to re-set the setting.

5. Hi, Jango. I'm able to get it up in Safe Mode, but in this mode, I can't see the multiple monitor option box where I would normally go to attach the monitors. Is there some way I can reset things to default?

Thanks for the help guys.

nkhoi, I tried that...if my video card isn't in slot 1, I can't get anything at all, not even the setup screen.

6. nbates

nbates

jason,

One video adapter is always designated the "primary" adapter and cannot be disabled!

So there's always one "plug" you can use to access your system. If your motherboard has onboard video, then that's the default...if you added other video hardware and are not using the 'default/primary' adapter, then plug one of the monitors into that adapter and you should see the login screen.

Once you have addess, return to display settings and enable your other monitors/adapters as you wish.

Good luck!

Regards,
    NB

7. gnome

gnome

If you're stonewalled, you can unplug the extra video card, then go into the BIOS and select " factory defaults"... that way the primary video (or integrated) should return as the primary.

8. Thanks very much, guys. I got them all working.

Out of curiosity, what is the favorite video card around here for up to four monitors? My current setup is the standard Dell graphics controller and a GeForce 5500, but I'm guessing there's better options, especially for when I add the fourth monitor.

Thanks again!

9. gnome

gnome

Tell us more about your video setup...

1. Do you have integrated video onboard?

2. Extra viedeo cards... how many? Single or dualhead?

3. Do you want 4 monitors total or 4 *more* mointors?

4. Do you have PCI slots available for additional cards?

10. 1. Yes, that's the Dell card.

2. Right now I just have one, the GeForce, with two VGA outputs. However, I'm looking to buy whatever will work best.

3. For now, 4 monitors total will work.

4. Yes.

#10     Jul 5, 2005