Are you trading for a living?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by ADX_trader, Sep 19, 2002.

1. prox

prox

Yes, but it's a struggle to stay consistent. (2.5 months so far..)

Hopefully in a year, I can look back and laugh.

#21     Sep 19, 2002
  2. Scalpa,

What kind of IT job do you have? Last time I worked in IT I was doing 80 hour weeks and then they would beep me at night for abends.

#22     Sep 20, 2002
  3. Does living in a trailor down by the river and eating sardines and spam for breakfast, count as a living. Do have broadband though

#23     Sep 20, 2002
  4. broadband is all that matters, let them eat bandwidth. In San Francisco in 2000, there were "charities" giving laptops with wireless internet connections to homeless people to "empower them in the new economy". Maybe Super-Ego is one of them. :)

#24     Sep 20, 2002
  5. Ninja

Ninja

Actually I got a bit envious when I read you first sentences, but your point at your 85/15 income ratio unmasks you...

#25     Sep 20, 2002
  6. Very good point. Why would an IT professional, who could trade and make over 7 times their income at a regular job, need a job beyond trading?

#26     Sep 20, 2002
  7. Scalpa

Scalpa

I'm a web developer and own and "maintain" a couple of webservers. Basically, I design and update webpages for my company's Intranet when the need arises. I make sure they're done before or after market hours. Maintaining the webservers is a bit more difficult; I actually have to stroll down to our server room to reboot a machine and/or restart Apache every few weeks. Ha!

I make about $40,000 a year doing this. It's slightly lower than your average salary for this type of position, but how can I complain? The fact of the matter is I'd come to "work" everyday for free if I had to. I don't know of any other places that offer a free office, free T3 connection to the net, and a free ballsy 2.0GHZ machine.

-Scalpa

#27     Sep 20, 2002
  8. Scalpa

Scalpa

I know it all sounds far fetched, but I have absolutely no reason to lie. Why would I even have a day job if I make that much money trading? Well three reasons:

1) I get an additional $40,000 a year

2) I get the free office, free computer, and free T3 connection.

3) But perhaps the biggest reason is that I don't want to trade out of my own home and become a hermit. I like going to work, shooting the shit with other employees, etc. If I traded from home, I'd go absolutely crazy.

-Scalpa

#28     Sep 20, 2002
  9. Aaron

Aaron

Nice arrangement you have. I agree -- the first thing I missed when I started trading on my own was the office comraderie and lunchroom visiting.

#29     Sep 20, 2002
  10. what's wrong with SPAM?

#30     Sep 21, 2002