Are you sick of technical analysis? I am...

Discussion in 'Trading' started by retaildaytrader, Oct 21, 2009.

1. jprad

jprad

Uh, I think you need at least some sort of chart of historic prices for it to be called T/A.

I don't think you meant to include insider trading, rumors and similar forms of trading...

#21     Oct 22, 2009
  2. Ok let me rephrase then. If one does any "analysis" on their own, its either fundamental (based on the company's financial picture) or it's Technical or both. As far as I'm aware there isn't a third type of analysis associated with making trading decisions.

#22     Oct 22, 2009
  3. There is Market Profile/Market Depth/Market Delta etc, are be considered 'Technical Analysis'? :confused:

#23     Oct 22, 2009
  4. It's very simple, if you ANALYZE the mkt or a particular stock in hopes of spotting a trade and you are NOT using financial data alone to make your decision, you're employing some form of TA. It can be TA that you've created based on any number of variables. It doesn't have to be well known patterns or terms like "cup and handle".

If we are talking about only 2 approaches, FA and TA then its pretty easy to figure out which examples fall into which category.

#24     Oct 22, 2009
  5. Arnie

Arnie

Who says TA doesn't work?:mad:

[​IMG]

#25     Oct 22, 2009
  6. The above diagram looks nice and is probably correct from a technical perspective, but my challenge to anyone here is to trade an actual account and make money with it. Many of these chartists can't make money with their own charts.

Honestly, can you make money with the above chart?

#26     Oct 22, 2009
  7. Yes, if you willing to sign up for his advisory service :D

Seriously, this thread is a breath of fresh air. I am currently arguing on another ET thread, that markets are not subject to the wishes, desires, opinions, beliefs and hopes of thousands of Elliott Wave, candlestick, Fib, Gann, technical indicators, and other similar reader of "Trading for TA Dummies"

Don't know how many times I have said "90+% of (newer) traders lose their money and probably "90+% of (newer) traders use TA or these other things." Do the math...

If I hear one more unsubstantiated "but since many people use it, it must be self-fulfilling...:mad:

#27     Oct 22, 2009
  8. the true believers will twist anything to fit their paradigm of what is and what isnt TA in an ill fated effort to keep their dying faith alive.

basically, these pretty charts appeal to the visual trader who needs the crutch of seeing the past, one who can not hold the number patterns in their own heads---- its a left brain right brain thing the artist vs the practical logical mind. the artist doesn't stand a chance, but still points toward the charts showing would of could of should of despite the mountains of evidence that is simply does not work.

this person in particular has been running from thread to thread with his "wide net" defense of his god. like a religious nutcase on the street corner screaming about salvations damnations.

totally messed up!

#28     Oct 22, 2009
  9. There is no argument. Its all about the brokerage statements. Give the guy with the theories and charts a practice account from IB and lets see if he can make money from his charts. Either he can or he can't.

I believe moving averages and some simple analysis works to an extent, but the chart above I dont think anyone can make money from it.

I never see any of the most successful traders bringing out charts to justify their trades. I do believe they look at charts, but dont think they have something like the chart displayed above.

#29     Oct 22, 2009
  10. exactly.

some artists can make it work by intuition or whatever, but objectively, TA is the wrong track.

seriously, how dumb can these people be, take FX for instance--the broker who trades against you provides you with all the TA you need and the traders still lose almost everytime//////

TA is highly seductive due to hindsight bias. truth is its the wrong path for 99%

#30     Oct 22, 2009