Are you more intelligent than most people here?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by n00b7r4d3r, Mar 18, 2008.

Are you more intelligent than most people here?

1. I am more intelligent than over 50% of people here

146 vote(s)
    79.3%
  2. I am less intelligent than over 50% of people here

38 vote(s)
    20.7%
  1. Alot of you seem to suffer from delusions of grandeur... I just thought this would be an interesting poll to see how many.

2. Mercor

Mercor

I don't understand the question

3. Are you smarter than the average person here basically... poll should in reality end up being 50/50

4. One of the main cognitive biases people have (empirically proven) is they overestimate their abilities and intellect in relation to others. It would actually be extremely atypical if the poll ended up 50/50 because it would mean the participants as a whole did not suffer from cognitive biases that affect most people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overconfidence_effect

5. It will be interesting to see where the percentages converge to... gotta love those cognitive biases altering our sence of reality.

PS. Great article there is trading related stuff in the first few sentences.

6. Mercor

Mercor

I guess we know where you fall

7. I dont understand what you mean... guess I qualify for the second option then?

8. Unless a majority here are above average intelligence and they assume they would still be in this group also. That would also help account for the greater than 50/50 results. Also people with higher intelligence might be more likely to answer the poll, you know boost the ol ego a bit.

9. I don't if I am more intelligent than 50% of the people here, but I do know I am more intelligent than the people who make up 50% of all of the posts.

10. I hate to share my secrets but here's a tip on improving your intelligence.

The Buffalo Theory - It makes perfect sense to me.

In one episode of 'Cheers', Cliff is seated at the bar describing the Buffalo Theory to his buddy, Norm.

I don't think I've ever heard the concept explained any better than this .

"Well you see, Norm, it's like this . . . A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the lowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

"In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine.

"And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers."

#10     Mar 18, 2008