Are you making money with Jack's strategy?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by inandlong, Aug 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. If he is deleting negativity and crap, then good for him. If he is removing Mr Markets' "I AM HUGE" threads, then good for him.

#31     Aug 24, 2003
  2. would be for....

" I have my own profitable strategy, who needs Jack!"

#32     Aug 24, 2003
  3. Seems to me that the appropriate place for this thread would be the *strategy trading* forum.

Personally, when jack first started *The Stochastic Indicator thread*, I pretty much understood it visually, but had some difficulty understanding his writing/style.

I had my own strategy, so I didn't spend much time reading the thread.

Imo, each trader will eventually develop their own strategy based upon other things that they have seen - read - learned from their own experiences during trading and possibly even from some others experiences.

I cannot and will not vote on this poll or any other like it. I don't think such polls can provide any real conclusive evidence anyway as to the value of any given strategy because a trader that has yet to develop discipline might answer no to making money with it while a trader that has developed discipline might answer yes.

Who's to say how many of the pollsters that answered this poll have yet developed the discipline to consistently make money using any trading strategy.

With the true answer to that question being so wide open, then I cannot reasonably assume that the results of any of these type polls would have much validity.

#33     Aug 24, 2003
  4. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Contributing to it, then deleting it, is not quite what the word "moderating" implies.

#34     Aug 24, 2003
  5. gms

gms

I've noticed criticism of Jack Hershey is typically about his being verbose, cryptic and rube goldbergesque in strategy. Those posts are usually crude, though not always. Well, maybe he is all those things. But those posts never prove anything either way about his methods specifically. I might've missed the one that did.

On the 'Stochastic Indicator' thread, several people claim they've done well adopting Jack's methodologies. You've seen them already. Maybe those folks are liars. Maybe they merely think Jack has helped them. But maybe they did become more successful. Do you know? Isn't that inandlong is asking?

dkm, who has been running alongside of Jack for at least a year on the Yahoo group, posts on ET his experience using Hershey's methods, writing:

"The first few weeks were profitable, but the market did happen to be in a bear rally. We "started over" for a second run in May (P&L new) and the results were very disappointing.

I currently use a neutral strategy (i.e. both long and short, depending upon market conditions). Having said that, I firmly believe that Jack's method has a lot to offer."

That appears honest to me. Perhaps dmk is really Jack, or his mom. Let me know and I'll change my opinion.

I posted on his Equity thread (and having 3 threads going is not proof of the success of Jack's strategies one way or the other) that he should basically get to the point. He seems to have responded to that, the new list business got cleared up in fewer posts than it took to explain it in the first place. If he was full of it, he'd have ignored me, I think. In contrast, MM would belittle me, evade answering and ignore me whenever I posed questions regarding his methods. There's a difference.

I'm not a 'hersheyite'. I've ribbed him before. But what I am is a person who believes everyone stands by their merits. Most of you don't think Hershey has any merit, but what's so ridiculous about what Jack is advocating to this point in the thread?:

1. Find stocks with strong relative strength (that's comparative strength, not high RSI), and strong EPS growth. From that find those that have recently BO on higher volume. Ride the rest of the trend.

From that high RS - EPS group, also find those with lower than usual volume, as they're down for now. Those are likely to rebound as they're strong companies that attract investors. Get in when they rebound.

2. Before you enter the trades, first check their cycles of these issues for at least 20% movements to ascertain that these equities have a decent profit channel. (Heck, Alex Elder talks about that as well) Check that there have been 5 such cycles within the past 6 months to help make sure this is repeatable.

3. Get out before the trend ends in order to capture most of the gain to that point and hop into the next trade to keep the money working.

I don't see a thing wrong with any of that. He may be vague in details here and there and may go on in that way or this, but essentially, what he's posting so far is common sensical.

Whether this thread belongs in chit chat or not, inandlong asks a proper question. And just like the flamers who don't zero in on Hershey's strategy to dissect it but make issues out of fluff, here I read no answers to the question proposed but rather lots of posts summing up peeves against inandlong. There's no pleasing you ladies!!

#35     Aug 24, 2003
  6. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

It's also right out of Wm O'Neil. What makes it "Jack's Strategy"?

Perhaps someone might like to post a "triple screen" strategy incorporating the MACD histogram and a stochastic.

#36     Aug 24, 2003

7. Hell yeah !!
    Inandlong once called me an ugly duckling , what an aggressive #%&%$## he is !!

#37     Aug 24, 2003
  8. trendy

trendy

AFLAC :D

#38     Aug 24, 2003
  9. I usually abbreviate quotes, it appears quite humorous this time, but that is not the point. Good post, even if it does go generally unrecognized.

-RLB

#39     Aug 24, 2003
  10. Are you sure that was me? LOL! Well okay, if you are sure, then I apologize for doing so. I searched the archives for the post but couldn't find it. Oh yeah that's right, I probably deleted it. :D

Thanks to the voters who have participated so far.

I just want to say that.... sniff sniff.... you guys make a moderator very happy. I have read every post and I don't think I saw one bit of foul language. Thank you.

Of course there are several posts that are just a bit off topic. It seems that some of you think the topic is, Second-Guessing Inandlong. For clarification, it's not. Funny how all these second-guessing posts are concentrated in this thread.

Dave Landry is a member here, although he has never posted a strategy I don't think, he does offer them for sale. Yet no one second-guessed me on that thread or the Connors thread. Interesting.

All in all the poll results are mixed, just as are the reviews. Since the poll respondents are to be those who are following Jack, it appears that the members making money and the ones losing money so far are just about equal. Way to go Jack! And I say this with sincerety.

There are a significant number of respondents who don't have it down or can't figure it out. But it wouldn't be the first time that a strategy befuddled a trader. So no big deal there. The great thing is that Jack has helped some members make money. And that is certainly very commendable.

Okay then, I recognize that not all members frequent ET on the weekend, so I will leave this poll up until later Monday evening. Thanks for your participation all of you... even the second-guessers.

Oh btw, Sarasota has asked me to delete his posts, and those that quote his posts because they were harsh. I will oblige. Edit: Ooops, after I put the kids to bed. :)

Another funny thing... all the lame threads that get started in the Trading Forum, and this one has generated the most "this should be in another forum" outcries that I have ever seen. Interesting.

Thanks again.

#40     Aug 24, 2003
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.