Are you living the "good life" with $10 million?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Port1385, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Very well said TheJay, you should post more .

#51     Jan 8, 2009
  2. Money can't buy happiness.
    But it can buy a boat big enough to sail up next to it.

Forgot who said that.

#52     Jan 8, 2009
  3. Beebers

Beebers

Happiness is not an acquisition - it is a process.

(not my words, btw)

That was truely well said.

Quote from saxon22:

The point is if you got plans, dreams then the money will let you achieve them. However, if your life is empty now because you are empty, then 10 or 100 mil is not going to change that, hence people who are rich,or well off and unhappy, stating money ain't all that. It is not the money that is making them into miserable and depressed fucks, it is them.

#53     Jan 8, 2009
  4. I made 1 hundred million dollars this month
    but i defintly ent fuckin happy
    my butler pisses me the fuck off
    and my gally is gay.

munnay can buy independance, which can lead to some happiness...but its not everything.

#54     Jan 8, 2009
  5. I think this is true only for logical well adjusted individuals who eventually see thru the shallowness of it all.

A lot of people however get caught in the treadmill of status and perceived superiority. Their teleological purpose then becomes to maintain this perceived status.

So they move from working hard to earn the dough for their first Ferrari, to earning the dough to vacationing at St Barts and hanging with a Palm Beach set, to earning the dough to afford a NetJets account .... to eventually earning the dough to bid on diamond encrusted skulls and getting hospital wings named after you.

Overweaning ego and a reminder of one's place in an imagined firmament is an enduring mechanism for keeping you at the money chasing game long after it makes any sense to the well adjusted individual.

The poster mentioned money giving him the utility from being able to hand out bigger tips, vacation in 4 star luxury etc. The desire to be the big man, to live out life like a rap video and to be fawned, adored, admired .... this urge to obtain tribal status is fundamental in so many species.

#55     Jan 20, 2009
  6. Once you arent stressing about bills, money can only allow you to do some cool things. At worst it can get you addicted to chasing the corporate carrot or keeping up with the jonses. Those cool things can be fun and enrich your life in certain ways.

However, once youve done all those things, you will still be you, and you will still have to face death alone.

#56     Jan 21, 2009
  7. Here about the guy in the beginning of the show, Tim Durham, CEO of Obsidian enterprises who made 15 mil on his first deal?, and has a net worth of about 75 million?. The guy lives in a 30k squarefoot house, has over 50 cars, a yatcht and a private jet.

Then there was Glenn Stearns, who has over 200 million, and has so many houses over the nation, he doesnt even go to them. His wedding cost was over a million. I wish he was my dad...those lucky little bastards :p .

#57     Jan 21, 2009
  8. QUOTE "The poster mentioned money giving him the utility from being able to hand out bigger tips, vacation in 4 star luxury etc. The desire to be the big man, to live out life like a rap video and to be fawned, adored, admired .... this urge to obtain tribal status is fundamental in so many species. QUOTE

It is about spreading the wealth and not feeling superior. As a former yellow taxi driver in NYC (college days) I know how hard people work in service industry and giving them a bigger than usual tip would only make up for all those tight fucks who give you a 25 cent tip on a 5 dollar ride, thinking it is OK.

To have $$$$ and still be of the folk is what I prefer. Salt and earth of any society is always infinitely more interesting then those who got a lot of paper.

#58     Jan 21, 2009

9. Two lost souls who try to fill the void by buying useless shit.

#59     Jan 21, 2009
  10. ElCubano

ElCubano

ahhhhhh...the good ole days.

#60     Jan 21, 2009