Are you guys prepared for this bear market +5 years?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by DisciplinedHedg, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Enough with the "there are opportunities, etc etc." Duh. Have you capitalized on the opportunities since this bear market began? Easier said than done, and hindsites always 20/20.

Fact is. Many of the people here wont be trading in a few years, I'm no exception to that possibility.

#21     Feb 26, 2003
  2. Eugene

Eugene

#22     Feb 26, 2003
  3. Dustin

Dustin

Yeah, but I agree with you that many here won't be around in 2-3 years.

#23     Feb 26, 2003
  4. Yeah, but no so often, only 7 days like that in February and only 6 in January. It used to be better last summer and fall.

#24     Feb 26, 2003
  5. I guess we are about to start a new bull market, too many bears here.:D

Personally, I think we will be stuck below 950 in SP for a while (months) trading between 950 and 800-750, maybe lower.

#25     Feb 26, 2003
  6. That was probably true when people were eagerly anticipating the next rally. I don't think people give a damn about this market anymore. Most investors have had it with the markets, at least for quite some time. Not only that, but most people no longer have much money to invest. This market is going to be terrible for a very long time!

#26     Feb 26, 2003
  7. Ditch

Ditch

That's the classic sign of the bottom:)

#27     Feb 26, 2003
  8. occur less frequently all the time. This a buy support, sell resistance market w/ tighter than normal stops.

(I hate to sound like the "channelingstocks.com" guy, but buying breakouts can be very hazardous to the old equity curve these days. With the exception of capitalizing on some great squeezes, I rarely buy b/outs).

#28     Feb 26, 2003
  9. maxpi

maxpi

I'm seeing some breakouts on intraday bar intervals that keep going.

IMO the markets will sink further but rebound after the war is shown to be a short one and hopefully without repurcussions inside the USA.

The one joker in the deck which makes comparisons of this market to any other time period is the baby boomers. (or should it be "are the baby boomers"?). Anyhow look what they did to politics in the 60's, real estate in the 70's and again in the 80's and the markets in the 90's. They do not have enough put away for retirement and they will be back buying stocks with glee when things look better.

Max

#29     Feb 26, 2003
  10. sempai

sempai

Amen to that. The current market environment is just par for the course for me, since I've always traded futures. I don't think that people who made money in the late 90's trading stocks are necessarily very good traders. If a trade went against you, you could just turn it into a position trade and wait for the market to save you. With futures, one doesn't have that luxury - trends never last the way they do in the stock market, and the leverage makes it difficult to hold positions indefinitely in hopes that the market will save you. Welcome to the real trading world folks.

#30     Feb 26, 2003