Are you an a**hole?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by retaildaytrader, Oct 28, 2010.

1. I like my coffee black...Im not sure that disqualifies me from being an asshole though...

#11     Oct 28, 2010
  2. Yeah, as some have said, the Starbucks test is a bit too specific to serve as a litmus test for a**hole status. I've known some very fussy, demanding eaters/drinkers who are very sweet and others who were total assholes. Mostly, the real creeps I know are not fussy eaters. As I recall, the people I have found most abusive tend to just shovel anything in their mouths that will fit, gobbling it down with a kind of urgency as though the future of humanity depended on their eating habits. I submit the real assholes are not very picky: They're not sensitive or deep enough to care about the difference between soy and whole milk, ginger sprinkles and brown sugar, etc. The picky ones tend to be more attentive and aware of their environments, and are thus more prone to being reasonable.

Again, that's a sweeping generalization, but I would take it over the original one that started off the thread. Hope I'm not being too picky!

For what it's worth, I define an a**hole as someone who is more interested in proving himself right than in the feelings of others. Sometimes proving yourself right is important, but there are respectful ways of doing it. There are those who don't give a hoot about being respectful, however. All that matters is proving "I am right. If I am being petty and hurtful, so what? All that matters is being right!" I have had several so-called friends and even girl-friends who espoused that attitude. I find it shocking how prevalent it is. You almost don't even need ET. There are plenty a**holes to go around in daily life, especially at Starbucks!:)

#12     Oct 28, 2010
  3. Someone is only an asshole if someone else thinks they are, and if so, then they are.

To that end, we're all assholes.

#13     Oct 28, 2010
  4. Wait. Wait. I resemble that remark.

#14     Oct 28, 2010
  5. That's one perspective. Here's another. Are you the nice, go along with type of person. Well this gullible chump gets taken advantage of by others for not being detail oriented and just saying that's ok. There's a lot of those in this country, and now they cry foul because they believed what mortgage brokers said, and how others told its ok. So the next time someone ask a lot of questions consider that.

#15     Oct 28, 2010
  6. I agree its the egotistical SOB's that won't ever admit they are wrong. Along with that are people that are subjective, loyal, and blinded by their own stupid ego.

#16     Oct 28, 2010
  7. Being an asshole basically means lacking sensitivity, consideration, and respect for others. We all have those traits from time to time, but unfortunately it's not hard to find people who exhibit them almost all the time. Those are the ones I consider true a**holes, and alot of (financially) successful people fall into that category - perhaps even most (?).

One of the things I like about trading is that you can be successful without having to be an a**hole to anyone or put up with any a**holes on your end either. Sometimes it feels like there are a**holes in the market hitting your stops, filling every order but yours at your limit, etc. etc., but I try to look at it more as just the roll of the dice - purely impersonal, pure chance. It's just a chart filling itself in the way it was destined to.

Anyway, to answer your question, yes ... I can be an a**hole at times, no matter how hard I try not to, though I like to think I'm improving with age.

#17     Oct 28, 2010
  8. I am definitely an a**hole, but I order a medium regular coffee when I go to starbucks. I refuse to say "grande," because it makes me feel like a huge pu$$y.

In reference to a post on the first page, I wouldn't bother to speak to someone that spelled lose as "loose" and have started threads of this forum trying to correct that behavior. If someone makes more than one or one glaring grammatical or spelling mistake in a professional email, I probably won't respond. And if its a resume, no way they get the job.

5yr

#18     Oct 28, 2010
  9. is it really this clear cut & dried?

these people are aholes according to your broad definition but are they really?

*I* have been diagnosed..extremely high IQ, low social :D

#19     Oct 28, 2010
  10. LOL. funny thread.

APHA testing is much more than litmus level testing.

The test is: To rather be right than rich.....

LOL.

#20     Oct 28, 2010