Are you an a**hole?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by retaildaytrader, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Some of you might be aware of a book called "The No-Asshole Rule". The author uses the word "asshole" because there is no other word in the English language to describe this type of attitude.

In this link, it will give you a little more insight on the book:

http://blog.guykawasaki.com/2006/10/you_have_to_lov.html#ixzz13aELxe5F

The quick and easy way to tell if you or someone else is an asshole is "The Starbucks Rule" which is:

"The more complicated the Starbucks order, the bigger the asshole. If you walk into a Starbucks and order a "decaf grande half-soy, half-low fat, iced vanilla, double-shot, gingerbread cappuccino, extra dry, light ice, with one Sweet-n'-Low and one NutraSweet," ooh, you're a huge asshole."

So if you find yourself talking to people in exacting detail and imposing such complexity on someone, then they are probably an asshole. Can you imagine someone who talks like that?

In another message forum, I was playing around and wanted to see who I was dealing with using "The Starbucks Rule". I posted up a message stating that I had purchased a stock based on the advice of the board and asking for help on what to do. Then I received multiple replies explaining in great detail as to why I was wrong for doing so. Some of the replies went into such great detail that I was thinking I was talking to an attorney. A simple message stating "You shouldnt take anything seriously on these boards." would have communicated the message well, but the responses I got seemed like essays and paragraphs of legalese and carefully constructed sentences and some of it very demeaning. So I concluded that I was in the presence of a bunch of assholes.

I use the word "asshole" to describe a certain anal exacting personality. It is my belief that this type of personality is not a healthy one for a trader. So if you find yourself explaining to someone in paragraphs versus sentences then you should probably re-think your philosophy. You have to ask yourself exactly who you are. Are you an asshole?

2. Disagree with Odumba's Communist-like agenda for the USA... and someone from the Left will surely suggest that you are.

3. PaulRon

PaulRon

whatever asshole

4. charts

charts

I disagree with your "SB Rule", and with your interpretation of it to evaluate the ET forumites, without disagreeing that there are quite a few a..holes posting here ... :)

5. traders are a very opinionated group ...and if you don't believe me GFU :D

6. The asshole definition definitely needs to be expanded. The Starbucks Rule pretty much applies only to women or the "effeminate male" which there seem to be alot of these days.

Plenty of otherwise huge asshole's will order a simple cup of coffee at Starbucks, yet fit the bill in other aspects of life.

(Edit: Thinking it over, the ET Asshole rule could best be described as these anal retentive shithead's who focus all their efforts on correcting your grammar or spelling, and ignore the content of your posts. They somehow think that playing news editor to your posts makes them an intellectual elitist).

7. Its not uncommon for a person of advanced age to play God and treat everyone around as chess pieces - as you have now gotten into the pattern of doing.

Reminding you that soon when Death hits, you will be waking up somewhere in a hospital sucking a titty and cryin like there's no tomorrow.

Carry on

8. the "starbucks rule" sounds more like self-obsession ...

can someone be self-absorbed and not be an ahole?

or are they synonyms?

or maybe they just hate coffee trying to mask the taste :confused:

9. In principle, I'd agree that most people who order the sugary alternatives are not true coffee lovers, they want the caffeine and the buzz. The problem is these are the very same people who take their sweet time asking about every drink and then carrying on with all of their little alterations to it.

You see the same thing in restaurants, these sort of pampered women who want to ask about everything on the menu, then tell you they want this or that on the side, replace this with that, etc, etc...It's just symptomatic of a sort of pampered, self-indulgence that you see more often with women and men who try to be women. I've rarely seen that kind of shit with normal, everyday guys.

10. pspr

pspr

+1

#10     Oct 28, 2010