Are you a successful trader?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by alraaayeq, Feb 12, 2006.

Are you a successful trader?

1. Yes, Average 10%+ growth per month

37 vote(s)
    29.6%
  2. Yes, Average 9%- growth per month

32 vote(s)
    25.6%
  3. No, I am losing my money and time

56 vote(s)
    44.8%
  1. volente_00

volente_00

Do you have a link to those statistics ?

I would be interested to see how many of those failed accounts were under 50k on initial funding.

#21     Feb 15, 2006
  2. FredBloggs

FredBloggs Guest

sorry i dont. just something i read a while back. try the nfa. the article was aimed more at futures traders - but i dont know if the stats included stock accounts as well.

#22     Feb 15, 2006
  3. bitrend

bitrend

In this case, there's only one true winner, The Broker, who will take 1K each from the 99 traders.

#23     Feb 15, 2006
  4. At this moment, 24 of the 67 poll respondents thus far are claiming to earn at least 10% per month. That represents over one-third of respondents.

Since the benchmark is at least 10% (i.e., 10%+), we can only assume that some of these high-end respondents are earning more than that. Let us assume that these savvy traders have a risk management system in place that reflects the rising value of their trading accounts resulting from these 10%+ monthly gains. Let us do so by reasonably assuming that they adjust their trade size (or risk per trade) on a monthly basis to reflect the then current value of their account. Stated differently, let us assume that they "compound" monthly, because that is the resulting effect. With that in mind, the annualized return based on this simple monthly compounding is 214%. And that's only for the guys who are earning 10% per month, not 10%+.

So, more than one-third of respondents are claiming to be earning at least 214%.

Bullshit.

#24     Feb 15, 2006
  5. Well it is the internet where every girl you speak to is a supermodel and every guy looks like Brad Pitt

#25     Feb 15, 2006
  6. many readers thought that such results does not tell you that you will probably be XYZ% failure and ABC% successful, instead you can use this poll with other online polls and do matching and analysis on them and then see why do many people talk about stocks/online trading as it is the way to be rich people where the facts"polls" shows something different?

Sometimes, I can use such results to tell my colleagues/friends .. Hey look at this, you are not alone, you can learn from others and put your expectations from the beginning.

and sometime, if I have X amount of money, I would say ...Hmm!! doing stock trading is not good idea as most of people failed, let us put it in fastfood or real estate services as the risk is much lower and the chance to get bigger/rich is higher.

what do you think guys?

#26     Feb 15, 2006
  7. I think +10%/Month is a bit excessive.

I am -without a doubt- certain that it is possible. However, I think it is unlikely.

Add in compounding and such a trader could buy all of Saudi Arabia's assets in a short decade or two.

Maybe they have?

#27     Feb 15, 2006
  8. JORGE

JORGE

For the average trader with a retail account of 100k or less, you need to make at least 10% a month just to make a living. Assuming that trading is your income, the compounding argument does not apply as you would be sweeping profits out on a regular basis.

#28     Feb 15, 2006
  9. The compounding argument applies regardless. Only a fool would "sweep" out money that could be earning 10% or more per month before compounding. At those rates of return, it would even be worthwhile to live on credit card debt, because the cost of borrowing is much, much lower than these alleged returns. Why would anyone just tread water indefinitely, as you suggest, if they could live beneath their means for a relatively short period of time and then retire early?

Let us use your example. If the trader with the 100k could manage to "somehow" set aside only 25k, which he would allow to compound at the suggested rates of return, that 25k would compound to well over $7 Million after a 5-year period. Admittedly, that calculation is pre-tax, however it is compelling nonetheless. Factor in your tax rate, thereby reducing the compounding effect somewhat, and you will still find that it is preposterously stupid not to let earnings compound at such a rate, even if it means living in near squalor for a time.

Against this background, I will maintain my initial assessment regarding the poll's proportion of such stellar traders:

Bullshit.

In fact, what this poll confirms is that ET has more than its fair share of shameless liars.

#29     Feb 15, 2006
  10. volente_00

volente_00

Because in a futures account your money is not insured by the SIPC .

#30     Feb 15, 2006