Are you a profitable trader ?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by mm2mm, Jan 17, 2013.

1. achilles28

achilles28

I'm really surprised to hear traders boasting profitability after a few months, or even years. There wasn't much to go on, in terms of literature, before Al Brooks came along. Some guys get mentored, by a friend or at their work. For me, I did it alone. Took 5 years to filter out the crap and become marginally profitable. Then another 3 or so, to really kill it.

Unless I saw a traders blotter or live journal, I'd be very skeptical of anyone who made claims of profitability after a year or two. It's certainly possible, cause most of the good stuff is easy. But it's extremely uncommon.

#21     Jan 24, 2013
  2. 6 months ? That's incredible.

Never met anyone that was able to do it in so little time.

#22     Jan 24, 2013
  3. mm19

mm19

he may be in front of couple of large drawdowns, hitting rock bottom. Been there. Soros needed 17 years - 23 to 40. However his method is for large money and clearly based on true edges.

Smaller edges disappear quicker. I bet no intraday edge that works today will be around in 5 yrs time.

#23     Jan 24, 2013
  4. mark_mm

mark_mm

I think there needs to be clarification about what constitutes the starting point. Is it your first trade or the moment you started researching trading. It would be wise to study a while before jumping into the market, or trade small amounts while you are learning.

#24     Jan 24, 2013