Are U.S. residents allowed to trade KOSPI 200 index options with IB?

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by stockcik, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Def-

You still there on this topic?

Your previous knowledge on the KOSPI 200 options for U.S. citizens was very informative. Has anything changed? Are U.S. citizens any closer to trading these options?

While we're at it, does IB offer the Nifty Fifty options based in India?

Thanks,
    WB

#11     Oct 9, 2012
  2. Wulfgar

Wulfgar

Id also like to know if US citizens have any way of trading KOSPI options/futures derivatives...

#12     Oct 28, 2012
  3. def

def Sponsor

As the options would fall under SEC jurisdiction, i'm afraid not.

Nifty - there has been some announcements regarding relaxation of the rules to trade into India but no real action in specifying the actual requirements. Thus I don't see much happening in the near term. However, I am not on top of the situation so I'll have to check with our Indian office and find out the latest and then re-post.

What I do suggest is that you look at the Nifty options on SGX which were launch a few months ago. Spreads are tight, you don't have the same currency risk (ie. USD can be hedged easier) and also of great importance is that the future on SGX is also liquid.

#13     Oct 28, 2012

4. Thanks very much for looking into this.

My interest in the original Nifty options was that it is very liquid. The Nifty options on the SGX way be somewhat liquid, but probably just a fraction of the original Nifty.

Something to look for - some very quick looking in Google states you can open an Indian brokerage account, and *possibly* trade Nifty options, but it's almost impossible to send money back to the U.S., or any foreign country, from an Indian brokerage account. Any insight into the truth of this allegation? Thanks.

#14     Oct 31, 2012