Are those who oppose outsourcing racist?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Ash1972, Jan 26, 2011.

1. This a proximity issue and has nothing to do with race. God bless the USA. Why? I live here, that's why.

A tsunami in Indonesia is messed up, but an earthquake in Saint Louis would definitely get more of my attention. Why? It's much closer to ME, that's why.

#21     Jan 26, 2011
  2. jjf

jjf

One of the more entertaining parts of globalization is the amount of pre taxed profit the large Corps are holding offshore.

Eventually, the gov. will capitulate on your behalf and allow these profits to enter the US at absurdly low tax rates, where upon the Corps will continue their share buy back programs.

The old tax payer will have been screwed twice instead of the usual once.

I am planning on living forever because I want to see how all this plays out.

The effect of sucking all this loot out of some commodity countries will create a buying opportunity in it's self as their economies are thrown completely off balance.

Watch Aussie first if this transfer is allowed to happen.

#22     Jan 26, 2011
  3. I oppose outsourcing firstly on its own merits, its inability to deliver, which is too big a topic to throw into the discussion.

I agree with JJF's point that computer automation/productivity boosting is a closely related topic which doesn't get as much attention. For example, we have seen a huge change in the trading world away from human traders towards automated trading. Knowing several people who worked on the floor, it is clear that these jobs are disappearing. Just as secretarial and middle-management jobs throughout the country.

Job loss to computers does not get the same emotional reaction as job loss to another group of humans. I do not think that racism is at this core. The US Army and US Navy, for example, have always been at odds. That is the personal manifestation of competition.

American's, IMO, having been taking globalization quite easily all things considered. The same thing happened in the 80's.

I was listening on the Colbert Report, for example, about a documentary concerning the business relocation business in Detroit. The contract workers who have made a career out of dismantling manufacturing facilities and shipping them overseas put on a happy face and take pride in their work. They know, however, that there are only so many factories left to dismantle, and that they have absolutely no skills relevant to the economy that will follow. They are just making the best of the opportunity just as wall street happily pumps Chinese stocks bought with stimulus/tax-break dollars.

Perhaps all of this cannibalism will leave America the leader, again, in the next economic order: social media, stupendous financial/business brain-center of the world ...? Is that what the Romans told each other too? It certainly didn't work out that way.

So no, I don't think that racism is a significant cause for opposition to outsourcing.

#23     Jan 26, 2011
  4. You underestimate human nature. Once they get more, they will want more. It is nihilistic to want to sacrifice our prosperity for the benefit of others. Whether it is Germany or India is irrelevant to me. I want my nation to be the best and the most fearsome. Why? I, my family, my co-workers, and all of my friends live here, that's why.

#24     Jan 26, 2011
  5. "Wealth" is to be earned, not redistributed.

#25     Jan 26, 2011
  6. jjf

jjf

Let go your fears and embrace all the opportunities that this new world is offering.

#26     Jan 26, 2011
  7. The best way for companies to save money is through slave labor. It can be old-time cotton-picking slavery or debt slavery. Debt slavery allows you to subjugate a broader base of people.

The question is - whose system do you want to dominate - US-style or "other"?

The economically strongest will be the winner.

The next war will be fought only by the richest elites on both sides because they have the most to lose. Everyone else will watch it like American Idol.

#27     Jan 26, 2011
  8. Fine. I support the rise of China and India, in their pursuit of wealth. If the opportunity cost is a demise of the American economy, so be it.

Other than the Ivy League, American education is poor. Values are degraded too.

Frankly, I am not surprised that China and India will dominate this 21st century. They deserve to.

#28     Jan 26, 2011
  9. feng456

feng456

I had to post something because I just completely agreed with everything in that post.

#29     Jan 26, 2011
  10. There are many ways to embrace globalism without sacrificing out nation, our values and our identity. Now I admit that as the grand-daughter of Rome, we have become a little complacent in out position as a world power. For some it will be painful, but we need not sacrifice who we are to adapt. A large part of globalization can be credited to us leading the way in this. We provided the platform to do much of what has been done. If we give up this platform, who will supplant it? China? India?

No, it is not about fear per se, it is about whether or not we believe out way of life is the best in the world. Whenever I see people leaving here to go to the new Ellis Island, then I will say that our time is over. Until then we should fight for our way of life. We provide opportunities that no other nation has.

#30     Jan 26, 2011