Are these statistics a legitimate point of concern for white Chicago residents?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Artful D0dger, Jun 15, 2011.

A legitimate concern for white Chicagoans, or is the notion of a white issue racist?

1. Legitimate

15 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. Racist

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Lucrum

Lucrum

Probably better than you are.

#31     Jun 15, 2011
  2. is this him?

[​IMG]

#32     Jun 15, 2011
  3. Maverick74

Maverick74

OK, so let's have an intelligent conversation about this without calling someone a racist. I have yet to see proof where poverty leads to crime. I have seen stats where black poverty leads to crime but not overall. Especially when looking at stats all over the world. Whether it be China, Europe or Canada, crime seems to be distributed evenly across various demographic groups. Of course crime is a very broad category. There are crimes on Wall Street, mortgage crime, then there is rape, murder, petty theft, etc. So maybe we need to be a little more specific here.

Anyone want to have a "real" conversation here or just trade insults back and forth?

#33     Jun 15, 2011
  4. here is my formula: poverty + guns +war-on-drugs = crime

US is different from Europe in many of the above ingredients

#34     Jun 15, 2011
  5. Maverick74

Maverick74

Yes, but then why aren't poor whites also affected by that formula? Are you saying there are no poor whites? Are you saying whites don't have guns? Are you saying whites don't do or deal in drugs?

#35     Jun 15, 2011
  6. this is a good question. all i say is that all these comparisons are very tricky. it is probably impossible to compare apples and apples here.

one simple example, how is one sure to fairly compare two poor neighborhoods (black and white)? is the concentration of people similar? is the poverty level similar? do they live in sufficiently similar environments (e.g. urban vs trailer park)? do they have similarly poor previous generations?

the list probably can continue for a while. once these types of questions come to my mind, i see huge problems with such comparisons even if done by some scholars, not talking about message board discussions.

#36     Jun 15, 2011
  7. Mercor

Mercor

I believe all the headlines listed above are the actual headlines of the printed article.
    They were not created by the poster

#37     Jun 15, 2011
  8. Mercor

Mercor

The murder rate for white victims is very close to the murder rate of most Europeon cities.

Murder facts in Chicago:
    76% of victims were African American (77.4% of offenders were), 18.3% were Hispanic (17.3% of offenders), and 5.6% were white (5.3% of offenders). The African American murder victimization rate was approximately 34 per 100,000; the Hispanic rate was 11 per 100,000, and the white rate 3 per 100,000.

25 whites killed in Chicago in 2005.
    150 killed in London.

Britain with all its gun laws is more dangerous then being a white in Chicago

#38     Jun 16, 2011
  9. What a novel concept! Have an actual discussion of the issue instead of using ad hominem attacks to avoid discussing the topic.

#39     Jun 16, 2011
  10. I'd like to take a look at where you got the racial crime stats in Chicago. I could not find any.

As for interracial and racial data on crime nationally, here is what I found:

Race, Crime, and Justice in America
    Second, Expanded Edition, 2005

Interracial Crime

Of the nearly 770,000 violent interracial crimes committed every year involving blacks and whites, blacks commit 85 percent and whites commit 15 percent.
    Blacks commit more violent crime against whites than against blacks. Forty-five percent of their victims are white, 43 percent are black, and 10 percent are Hispanic. When whites commit violent crime, only three percent of their victims are black.
    Blacks are an estimated 39 times more likely to commit a violent crime against a white than vice versa, and 136 times more likely to commit robbery.
    Blacks are 2.25 times more likely to commit officially-designated hate crimes against whites than vice versa.

Crime Rates

Blacks are seven times more likely than people of other races to commit murder, and eight times more likely to commit robbery.
    When blacks commit crimes of violence, they are nearly three times more likely than non-blacks to use a gun, and more than twice as likely to use a knife.
    Hispanics commit violent crimes at roughly three times the white rate, and Asians commit violent crimes at about one quarter the white rate.
    The single best indicator of violent crime levels in an area is the percentage of the population that is black and Hispanic.

http://www.colorofcrime.com/colorofcrime2005.pdf

The data came from the DOJ, and this is the latest large, academic study which I have been able to find.

#40     Jun 16, 2011