Are there pullback systems that backtest well?

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by jimcrist, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Besides (S/M)MA, you also use other indicatos like CCI now. :confused:

#91     Mar 26, 2004
  2. Lindq,

I am not familar with CCI - what does that refer to?

Buying on extreme fear is an acquired taste - I enjoy it myself but standing up against a speeding train has often proved to be very painful.

#92     Mar 26, 2004
  3. mind

mind

currencies are a very different game. not biased by greed and fear in the long run towards one direction. ES is very different IMO.

#93     Mar 27, 2004
  4. lindq

lindq

CCI is commodity Channel Index, an indicator that is available with most trading software. It can often be useful as a divergent signal. For example, when it diverges from Stochastic. As I said, I don't use it for my primary system in normal market conditions, but when the market gets very weak, I will often use it as an additional indicator to help me select the best possible trades. If for example you have a pullback system, try adding the requirement for a rising CCI for a couple days leading up to two days prior to the trade. You may find that it enhances results, although it will seriously cut back on the number of trade signals. However, in an extreme market pullback that isn't a bad thing, and that's how I put it to use.

I also use a divergent CCI in a short swing system I trade that's quite successful, but of course in the opposite direction as a pullback. There I am looking for CCI to diverge downward while price is still rising.

#94     Mar 27, 2004
  5. Thanks!

#95     Mar 29, 2004