Are there any professional traders who position trade ETFs?

Discussion in 'ETFs' started by trendisyourfriend, Jul 23, 2022.

1. ffs1001

ffs1001

You sound like a lot of fun at parties.

#11     Jul 24, 2022
  2. This is a usual notice for a broker in the UK.

"To qualify as a professional trader, you must meet two of the following three criteria:

To have made an average of at least 10 significantly sized transactions per quarter for the last four quarters
    To currently have a financial portfolio in excess of £500,000 (including cash deposits)
    To have worked in a professional capacity in the financial sector for 1+ years – the role must have required knowledge of leveraged trading products

Before you consider trading professionally, we’d recommend ensuring that you have strong experience of the markets, a track record of success, enough time to dedicate to trading and a clear plan. A professional trading account gives you access to higher leverage and flexible margins but doesn’t feature all of the protections that come with a standard account – including negative balance protection."

You know that you can be qualified as a professional when your broker wants to charge you more for your data and transactions. Also they reduce your margin requirements to trade. If you have not been contacted by anyone you are not a pro.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2022
    #12     Jul 24, 2022
    murray t turtle likes this.
  3. Beat buy and hold of SPY and QQQ for several years, if possible without any down years and you will find people who sign up.

#13     Jul 24, 2022
    ET180 likes this.
  4. %%
    LOL\but its a fair question. MOST anything is possible.
    BIG problem with name yourself a pro+ also depends if he means that in a SEC sense\ or hi data fees sense.
    IF i did it over again i would not buy anything like very good Esignal charts; those hi data fees never paid for them selves much........................................................................
    Triple ETFS??? Maybe sometimes \
    maybe not; sometimes double or cash ETFs...... SPY or qqq is better.
    It's so hard to understand\
    why the rich man's busy [workin]\ + the poor man pays the band.
    T Tritt \ Lord Have Mercy on The Workin' Man song

Last edited: Jul 26, 2022
    #14     Jul 26, 2022
  5. deaddog

deaddog

A guy by the name of David Allan Carter wrote "The 12% Solution".
    Bio says "With a management background and 20 years of investing experience ranging from mutual funds to options, futures, and high-frequency day trading"

Sounds similar to what you are attempting.

#15     Jul 26, 2022
  6. %%
    WORTHwhile read\ what parts of him i read.......................SPY+ TLT.......
    DONT see anything about qqq or options so far\ but so much the better.
    Of course an ''extra 3-4%+ matters'' ; but he cant really prove we could beat 99% of the mutual fund managers.....................................................................................
    Someone said you will never average 12 % a year\ GS doesn't make that.
    But make sure you dont do anything like GS \LOL ;
    $2.9-5 billion buck fine,
    $350 ,000,000 Hong Kong fine, \not that i am going to list all thier fines....................

#16     Jul 26, 2022
  7. Regarding the original question...

I professionally trade the 3x leveraged ETFs (such as SPXL, TQQQ, SOXL, etc.) quite successfully.

I use a combination of Dollar Cost Averaging for buying into positions, and Value Averaging for capturing profit / exiting positions, rinse and repeat. I'm also a programmer, so I've automated most of the process. Been doing this for a few years now with great results. I use the 3x leveraged ETFs for the amplified volatility, but the DCA+VA strategy helps to dampen their volatility, whilst still providing a better-than-market return most of the time.

I say "most of the time" because I'm only trading the "long" side, which means I'm expecting "growth over time", which means my accounts are all currently down this year awaiting market recovery. However, due to the DCA nature of my strategy, my accounts' positions average entry prices are much lower than the ETF's highs, so my accounts don't require "full" market recovery before they'll start capturing profit again for my clients.

#17     Aug 3, 2022
  8. Isn't SPX popular among professionals?

#18     Aug 20, 2022